Friday, May 10, 2019

Valuable Lesson: Day 9

Word Count: 54,024

Summary of Events: 
Kingston was able to hang on for some more points, even if he still wasn't getting to 70, and then talked with a barrel racer whose mother had dated his father for a time about Blair. He was thrown just before the eight second mark the following night at an event that featured only bronc riding, which left him annoyed. The next afternoon he learned from Monty that Quinn had been told Kingston hadn't gotten any points all season; he learned from Waylon, however, that Quinn hadn't gotten a good time either — in fact, he attacked the official and the Rodeo Association was discussing potentially banning him for the rest of the season — before they got talking about Kingston's progress, with Waylon recommending Kingston make some changes . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
“Changes?” Kingston asked. “And why should I go making any changes?”
“Because of the fact that what you’re currently doing isn’t doing anything for you,” Waylon replied.
“This system has been working for me from day one,” Kingston protested.
“Kingston,” Waylon said. “It’s like a car. Holding the steering wheel still doesn’t mean you’re going to go straight the whole time, you have to constantly adjust it.”
“You’re suggesting I wrench the steering wheel around and head in the opposite direction!” Kingston protested.
“No I’m not,” Waylon said. “I’ve been in this business for thirty years, and even though I haven’t been in the same event as you, my experience is not isolated. Everyone has to make adjustments and changes to how they do things in order to maintain the success which they had.”
“And I’m not opposed to that,” Kingston said.
“You certainly seem like you are,” Waylon said.
“But I’ve done that,” Kingston said. “And it’s still not working.”
“Are you really sure you’ve done enough?” Waylon asked. “Think of hockey teams, or even any sports team, really: if the team’s losing a lot they fire the coach. If that doesn’t shake things up they fire the GM. If that fails then they just trade out all the players and bring in a whole different group of people. Surely there’s something more you can do to change things up than what you’ve done. You don’t have to be extreme, but there’s got to be something more that you can do.”
“I think I’ve pretty much done everything I can do,” Kingston said.
“Seeing as you’re not having much success I don’t believe you have,” Waylon replied.
“Well then if you’re an expert what do you think I should do?” Kingston challenged.
“I’m not an expert,” Waylon replied. “There’s a difference between expert and experienced. I am experienced, but I am not an expert, and especially not in bronc riding. As a man who is experienced in rodeo, I have observed and have needed to practise making changes to what I do in order to improve my performance and achieve continued success. I am only the renowned bulldogger I am because of commitment to do whatever honest work it takes to achieve continued success. I am sure that the same applies to you. If you want to have success at all, much less long-term success, you need to be committed to doing what it takes do give you that success in accordance with the rules.”
Kingston crossed his arms and exhaled indignantly.
Waylon sighed and shook his head. “Kingston, I have some opinions on why you’re not succeeding, but I am keeping them to myself out of respect for you. Still, I will tell you this: if what you’re doing to get better is only getting you sixty-point scores, then obviously it’s not enough and you need to get doing more if this is what you really want. If this isn’t what you want then quit now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment