Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Valuable Lesson: Day 12

Word Count: 72,031

Summary of Events:
After spending the night in hospital Kingston was discharged and cleared to keep riding, although his back was bruised and his leg was a little sore. Blair was incredibly relieved to see that he was alright and actually ended up kissing him on the lips — which she hadn't yet done to him, and Kingston much appreciated. His grandparents called, having heard the news secondhand from Caldwell's grandparents; Kingston apologised profusely for neglecting to notify his grandparents. Heading into the next weekend Kingston felt a lot better, but was still recovering . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
As he made his way back toward the camper he saw Blair was standing outside. She hurried over to him as soon as she recognised him and pressed her lips against his.
Kingston caught her up and held her close as he returned the kiss for some time before she started to pull back.
“You certainly seem to be getting over the jerk,” Kingston said.
“The jerk?” Blair asked.
“Yeah, the jerk who took advantage of you,” Kingston replied.
“Oh, that jerk,” Blair said. “I thought you meant jerk.”
She jerked on his arm to indicate.
“No, I meant the person jerk,” Kingston replied.
“Yes, I am getting over him,” Blair said.
“Good,” Kingston said. “Are you wanting to do something?”
“Yeah,” Blair replied.
“Such as?” Kingston asked.
“Take a walk to wherever downtown is and pay a visit to that amazing ice cream shop Tara was raving about,” Blair replied.
“We can do that,” Kingston said. “Walking is good for my leg anyways.”
“You’re feeling better?” Blair asked, sliding her arm around behind him and leaning against his shoulder.
“Yeah,” Kingston replied. “My back’s still a little tender, but my leg feels pretty much normal, which is good, seeing how Ponoka’s coming up fast.”
“Why does Ponoka run their stampede the same week as Calgary?” Blair asked.
“To give the guys who don’t get into the Calgary Stampede something to do,” Kingston replied.
“Oh,” Blair said. “So people have to be really good to get into the Calgary Stampede?”
“Yeah,” Kingston replied. “It’s the best of the best that get there, and I ain’t one of them. Yet.”
Blair smiled. “Neither am I. Yet.”
Kingston smiled. “We’ll make it, though, I know we will.”
“Absolutely,” Blair said.
They walked along in silence for a bit.
“You’re good enough to ride tonight?” Blair asked.
“I rode last weekend,” Kingston replied.
“I’m so scared you’re going to get caught up like that again,” Blair said.
“I’ve been riding broncs for about five years, and that’s the first time I’ve ever been hung up in any fashion,” Kingston said. “It’s not as common an occurrence as one can be led to believe. I know what I’m doing, I promise you I’ll be fine.”
Blair didn’t look convinced.
“Blair, please, don’t worry so much,” Kingston said. “I will be fine, even if people want to think otherwise. I know what I’m doing, and I know what to do to avoid that situation again.”
“And what is that?” Blair asked.
“Move faster,” Kingston replied. “I was caught off-guard by what was going on and so was a little scared to move. What I need to do is just move, push off, shift myself over get my foot out, and get off.”
“And you don’t think it’ll happen again then?” Blair asked.
“I should hope it doesn’t,” Kingston replied. “But I can’t really make any guarantees.”

No comments:

Post a Comment