Thursday, May 09, 2019

Valuable Lesson: Day 8

Word Count: 48,015

Summary of Events:
In spite of the rain and mud the rodeo went ahead as scheduled and Kingston succeeded in hanging on to both of his mounts for eight seconds; the unfortunate thing was that his scores still remained below 70 points, which classed them as poor scores. After the go-round Kingston hung out with a couple of friends and told them about Blair and what had happened to her; one friend didn't believe her story and cast such strong doubt on it that, in spite of another friend's reassurance Kingston couldn't rest until he'd checked Blair was in bed like she'd told him she'd be; she was in bed reading a book, but she saw Kingston in the window and screamed . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
The room went dark and he heard quick footsteps and talking, but he couldn’t make it out, nor did he altogether try to, as he was pretty sure he was going to get into trouble for having frightened Blair.
Kingston grabbed his hat and shoved it on his head before grabbing his drink and getting to his feet to hurry away just as he heard the camper door behind him open.
Before he could get any further a strong, masculine hand seized his throat, turned him, and slammed him hard against the side of the camper. Kingston could tell his drink sloshed in the cup a bit, but his hand wasn’t wetted because the cup was rather large.
“Who are you?” a low, threatening man’s voice that sounded like it was passing through teeth demanded.
“Kingston Aizenman sir,” Kingston replied quickly.
“And what are you doing outside of my vehicle?” the man demanded.
“I, I, I’ve made friends with Blair,” Kingston replied. “Just friends, not more, and she told me about her jerk boyfriend in the States, and I understand and I’m not going to force her, but I was talking with some friends and one of them didn’t believe her story and I didn’t know who to believe so I came to check and my friend wasn’t to be believed and I was just going to leave and I didn’t mean to scare her, I, I didn’t even think she might be able to see me and that I’d scare her; tell her I’m sorry, but I never doubted her for a minute, and I didn’t want to which was why I came.”
There was a long silence. Kingston could feel the anger radiating off of the man, whom Kingston realised he knew at least by name, it was her uncle Kerry who had him pinned against the camper by his throat.
“Please, let me go, I’ll go straight to bed,” Kingston pleaded. “Please.”
“I know Canada’s not as liberal with their guns as the US, so I may not be armed with weapons that can threaten you from a distance kid,” Kerry said, his voice still low and menacing. “But you come back around again and I’ll pummel you, got it? I brought my niece up to Canada to keep her safe from men who would destroy her, and I won’t let any man up here entertain those kind of ideas either.”
“I understand sir,” Kingston said. “I won’t, never again.”
“Let’s hope you mean it kid,” Kerry said, releasing his hold on Kingston’s throat.
Kingston took his empty hand and rubbed his throat a little bit.
“Now get!” Kerry shouted.
Startled by the fierceness of Kerry’s order, Kingston immediately took off, headed for the trailer, not really settling down until he was inside. He then sat down at the table and slowly sipped down the rest of his drink in an effort to settle himself down. He didn’t doubt Kerry was serious, and he had no intentions of testing the man again.

No comments:

Post a Comment