Saturday, February 09, 2019

Resolution: Day 6

Word Count: 36,218

Summary of Events:
Shelton went to visit Verna, the youngest of his older sisters, and ask her opinion on Georgiana; he was displeased to find she considered Georgiana boring. Georgiana felt badly for how she'd told off Mrs. Ellenwood, even though her parents were both actually somewhat glad that she'd been able to stand up for herself against such a forceful personality. Shelton went to visit Georgiana and nearly got backed into by an inattentive driver, but thankfully no damages or injuries were incurred . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
“Sheila said you were almost in an accident,” Georgiana said.
“A woman reversed into the road in front of me in excess of five miles an hour,” Shelton replied. “I am uninjured, my car is undamaged, all is well.”
“You don’t seem to be in a pleasant mood though,” Georgiana said.
“I’m not,” Shelton conceded. “I have little to be happy about.”
“Oh,” Georgiana said, looking distressed. “Why?”
“I was just about backed into by an inattentive driver, Verna thinks you’re boring, and Reverend Baron thinks Baptists are terrible people because they’re against drinking.”
“I don’t hate you because you’ve done it,” Georgiana said. “I merely hope that you never imbibe to the excess, and that you never ask me to imbibe at all.”
Shelton sighed. “We’ve settled location though, we’re getting married at your church.”
“Okay,” Georgiana said.
“Reverend Baron wasn’t even pleased to hear I was marrying a Baptist, much less wondering about becoming one,” Shelton added.
“I’m sorry,” Georgiana said.
“It’s not your fault,” Shelton replied. “Your family aren’t against Presbyterians, so I see no reason why a Presbyterian should be against you, but if they are they’re the ones in the wrong for it.”
“And your sister thinks I’m boring?” Georgiana asked. “Why?”
“Because you haven’t done anything daring,” Shelton replied.
“Oh yes I have,” Georgiana replied.
“What?” Shelton asked, honestly surprised.
“I told off the church’s foremost gossip for trying to meddle with my wedding,” Georgiana replied.
“Oh,” Shelton said. “Why was she trying to meddle with your wedding?”
“Because Mother is one of several women in the church praying that she will realise how bad gossiping is and stop,” Georgiana replied.
“That doesn’t seem at all related,” Shelton said.
“That’s the best reason Mother and I could come up with,” Georgiana replied. “She’s never done it before, so it was the only reason we could think of as to why she might be doing it.”
“Interesting,” Shelton said.
“Have you learned anything on the army uniform front?” Georgiana asked.
“No,” Shelton replied. “I haven’t inquired. Wes and I’ll be enlisted by the beginning of June though, so I should be able to ask when we enlist.”
Georgiana nodded, a worried look coming over her face.
“Please don’t worry about it,” Shelton pleaded. “I’m not going into the army in an effort to get myself killed.”
“But it’s an inherent risk,” Georgiana said.
“I know,” Shelton conceded. “But if this proves to be the time of unprecedented peace Father believes it will be then I’m probably not going to see any combat whatsoever.”
“But Prime Minister St. Laurent is committed to combatting Communism,” Georgiana said. “Assuredly by means of force if necessary.”
“You don’t think the Communists are unstoppable, do you?” Shelton asked.
“No,” Georgiana replied. “But they’re certainly rather intimidating, seeing how they control the largest country in the world.”
Shelton nodded. They definitely were an intimidating group of people, but if all the people who were against Communism were tallied up they probably would make a decently equivalent number.

No comments:

Post a Comment