Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Chasing the Unknown: Day 14

Word Count: 84,007

Summary of Events:
Vera met Gemo Zanetti and his friend, Benedetto Gimondi, in whose possession Gemo had found the stone; after questioning him, Vera decided that they should take the stone to a gemological laboratory in Lucerne to determine whether it was a ruby or not. Hammy, disguised as a half-Japanese gangster, went to the nightclub with a different agent translator. Vera met with a different agent at a restaurant in Lucerne to discuss the case so far and what she planned on doing. Hammy, as a result of visiting the nightclub, then met with a man who turned out to be an employer of one of the other gangsters he'd met and learned that the gangster who'd killed the agents they'd found dead in Italy was being held in Afghanistan, whom he offered to free, provided he left something he was willing to lose . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""A beloved pet then?" Mr. Miyamoto asked.
Hammy shifted his jaw and worked to look uncomfortable, as opposed to uncertain.
"There is a beloved pet then," Mr. Miyamoto said.
"Yes," Hammy replied.
"What is it?" Mr. Miyamoto asked.
"Rokurou," Hammy replied.
"That's a name," Mr. Miyamoto said.
"It's his name," Hammy replied.
"And who is he?" Mr. Miyamoto asked.
Hammy took deep breaths, as if he was emotional at the idea of surrendering a beloved pet — not that he actually possessed one — to Mr. Miyamoto, when he was actually groping for an animal that he could willingly surrender to Mr. Miyamoto, know it would likely end up being killed.
"He's my tarantula."
He saw Mr. Miyamoto move and looked up to see Mr. Miyamoto looking quite repulsed.
"You have a pet tarantula?" Mr. Miyamoto asked.
"I do," Hammy replied. "He's my dearest companion, I tell him all my secrets, and I let him roam freely around my apartment."
Mr. Miyamoto shouted and leapt onto his desk in an impressive standing jump.
"He isn't here, I know most people don't take kindly to spiders," Hammy replied.
"So you are going to give me a tarantula," Mr. Miyamoto said in a trembling voice, still standing atop his desk. "And if you fail to bring back my man from Afghanistan, I have the right to kill it."
Hammy nodded, dabbing at his eye gently, as if he were crying, along with making sure his jaw was quivering.
"But if you succeed you get him back," Mr. Miyamoto said.
Hammy nodded.
"It's not prone to escape its cage, is it?" Mr. Miyamoto asked.
"No," Hammy replied. "He knows he is only let out when it is just me around, unless I want to torture any enemies who come to call, but I lost his brother, Daichi, to the vicious reaction of one of my enemies while doing that, so I don't do it often."
Mr. Miyamoto looked highly reviled, and generally like he was a significant arachnophobe. "If that creature can mean so much to you then, I will take it."
Hammy dabbed at his eyes and did his best not to regain his composure too quickly.
"I need information on your man first," Hammy said.
"His name is Dong Rhee," Mr. Miyamoto replied, getting off his desk in a civilised manner. "He is being held in Kabul, Afghanistan, awaiting execution for having murdered several men who had stolen the ruby you came here seeking from him. His execution is slated to take place in January."
"And that is all you intend to give me?" Hammy asked.
"That is all," Mr. Miyamoto replied.
"I will bring Rokurou here on Thursday at eight past ten in the morning," Hammy said.
"Eight past ten?" Mr. Miyamoto asked.
"Yes," Hammy replied. "It is the perfect sort of time to say farewell."
Mr. Miyamoto looked highly baffled. "Well, I will expect you on Thursday at exactly eight minutes after ten o' clock in the morning, and no later."
"I will be here," Hammy replied."

Pronunciations:
Gimondi: zheemohndee
Miyamoto: meeahmohtoh
Rokurou: dohkuhdoo

No comments:

Post a Comment