Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Chasing the Unknown: Day 13

Word Count: 78,086

Summary of Events:
Vera was released from the hospital and taken to the hotel, where Hammy was leading all available agents in a battle against the gangsters, until the Thai military showed up and took over. Hammy received a call from Gio, the agent in Italy, saying that Gemo Zanetti had found his ruby. Vera was sent to see what they could learn from the person who currently had it, while Hammy remained in Thailand to try and come up with answers from that end. He then ended up being called by his uncle, whom he vented some of his frustrations to . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""Aren't there other agents you can work with?" Uncle Duncan asked.
"Yes," Hammy replied. "However, I'm technically the highest-ranking agent currently west of Turkmenistan because Asia's in lockdown due to a potential compromise related to the why of this whole incident."
"And that means?" Uncle Duncan asked.
"I have to do all the work myself," Hammy replied. "I can't assign them to do groundwork for me, I have to do all the groundwork myself, along with double-checking positively everything they do in the Branch pertaining to my case. It hasn't been that bad so far, except for the fact that I don't think I can hide very well."
"Not in Asia, anyways," Uncle Duncan said. "If you were working here in England you'd be fine."
"In Europe in general I'd be safe," Hammy replied. "The fact that I speak most all of the languages of the Continent with a degree of fluency helps."
"The other agents, even though they're in lockdown, can still help you, though, can't they?" Uncle Duncan asked.
"Yes, but I'd have to give orders," Hammy replied.
"And you did that in the military Fenton," Uncle Duncan said.
"Yes," Hammy replied.
"What if you, possibly, found a way to pretend you're Asian?" Uncle Duncan asked.
"Asians don't get six foot three," Hammy replied.
"No, they get eight foot ten," Uncle Duncan said.
"Well he was Chinese," Hammy said.
"But you don't know Thai, do you?" Uncle Duncan asked.
"No," Hammy replied. "The only Asian language I know is Japanese."
"Well, then pretend you're Japanese, or maybe even half-Japanese," Uncle Duncan said. "And communicate exclusively in Japanese. Or does your accent come through there?"
"I don't know, that would be for someone else to tell me," Hammy replied. "Like all the British musicians who lose their accents when they sing, they don't notice it, someone else has to tell them."
"True," Uncle Duncan said. "But still, you could say you're half Australian or something."
"But what sort of job do I take?" Hammy asked.
"I don't know, it depends on what you need," Uncle Duncan replied. "But it does work, doesn't it?"
"I guess," Hammy replied.
"Maybe I should get into this spying business," Uncle Duncan said. "After all, life gets droll when one's nearly seventy."
Hammy laughed a little. "Most people in the Agency that old are either retired or work exclusively at a Branch."
"Ah, that'd be fine, it's not like I don't know too much already," Uncle Duncan said.
Hammy sighed.
"You should set me up when you get back," Uncle Duncan said.
"We'll see about that," Hammy said.
"You say you live for the thrill," Uncle Duncan said.
"But you're nearly seventy," Hammy said.
"So?" Uncle Duncan asked. "Old people get bored too, they're not just boring."
"Maybe we will have to see about it," Hammy said, smiling to himself a little. "Thank you for the help, though. I think I might actually take your advice."
"See?" Uncle Duncan said. "I'm already suited to the business!"
Hammy shook his head and chuckled. A seventy year old new recruit, he could only imagine Z's reaction to that."

No comments:

Post a Comment