Monday, November 09, 2015

Challenging: Day 7

Word Count: 42,014

Summary of Events:
Mr. Williams came over to visit Gabrielle; he assured her that her children would stay with her — provided she got herself a regular income — and that he would do what he could to get Gabrielle and the kids to see Reid soon. After he left Gabrielle called her mom for financial help and her mom told her to pack up and leave now. Nicholas, having been released on bail, got Megin to drive him to the winery to pick up his SUV; he stopped to have a quick visit with the kids that Jennifer rudely interrupted. After he left Daniella and Dylan tried to chase after him and told Jennifer that she didn't love them, but Nicholas did; Jennifer took them to their rooms and then tried to work, but the fact that her children didn't think she loved them upset her so much she had a tantrum instead.

Excerpt of the Day:
"After a few more minutes of talking she ended the call and kept scrolling through the listings and making notes. Nicholas cleared his throat and she froze. Slowly she turned her head around and looked at him. Fury instantly snapped onto her face.
"What are you doing here?" she demanded through her teeth.
"Collecting my SUV," Nicholas replied.
"There's a side door to the garage," Jennifer snapped. "You don't need to just waltz into the house."
"I rang the doorbell," Nicholas said. "You never answered."
"No you didn't, I didn't hear anything," Jennifer snapped.
"Well maybe the doorbell's broken," Nicholas said. "You should have it fixed."
"I doubt you're going to be coming to collect your SUV any more," Jennifer snapped.
"That is true," Nicholas agreed. "But still, that's no good reason to let the house fall into disrepair."
Jennifer nodded succinctly, but said nothing. "Go get your SUV and leave."
Nicholas nodded and headed down the hallway toward the house entry to the garage; he heard the kids playing in their playroom and stopped. Going over to the door, he peeked inside.
They were sitting on the floor looking up at the TV watching one of the latest animated feature films. He made his way into the room and sat down on the couch behind them. Dylan turned and looked over his shoulder, his face lit up.
"Daddy!" he cried.
Daniella turned and then also uttered the elated cry, hurrying into his arms. Nicholas gathered them up into his lap, trying to keep emotion from welling up in him, and embraced them tightly.
"I've missed you guys," Nicholas whispered.
"Why are you always gone?" Daniella asked.
"Because Mommy's mad at me," Nicholas replied.
"Why?" Dylan asked.
"Because she doesn't like me anymore," Nicholas replied. "And I don't know why she doesn't like me anymore."
"That's why you always fight?" Daniella asked.
"Yes," Nicholas replied.
"Why did you take Dylan yesterday?" Daniella asked.
"Because I wanted to see him," Nicholas replied.
"Why didn't you take me too?" Daniella asked.
"Because I couldn't see you and Grandpa wouldn't let me in," Nicholas replied.
"Why not?" Daniella asked.
"Because he's mad at me, just like Mommy is," Nicholas replied.
"You are getting your SUV and getting out of here!" Jennifer screamed. "Get away from my children! Get out! Get out! Get out!"
Nicholas clutched his children against him and looked over his shoulder at Jennifer; she was behind the couch glaring at him savagely. She looked tight and set to explode at any given moment.
"They're my children, just as much as they are yours, am I not entitled to see them?" Nicholas asked.
"No!" Jennifer screamed. "They are my children and I will not have them in the presence of such a wretched, hideous, ugly, vile snake!"
Jennifer stalked around the couch and tore his children from his arms.
"Get out!" she screamed above the children's shrieking wails.
Nicholas surged to his feet and seized Jennifer's shoulder roughly. "Just you wait woman, I've had enough of you stomping on me, and this is the last of it I'm going to take.""

No comments:

Post a Comment