Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Challenging: Day 2

Word Count: 12,008

Summary of Events:
Jennifer went to visit a lawyer who dismissed her concerns about Nicholas cheating as Nicholas having turned the volume back on the TV at the end of the call. Gabrielle talked with Reid some more and suggested he talk to his boss about his bothersome coworker. Nicholas lied to Jennifer that he was going to be out for the day so that he'd have the opportunity to seduce her half-sister. Reid talked with his boss about his bothersome coworker and left with the assurance his coworker would be reprimanded and the botheration would stop. Jennifer arrived home to find Daniella and Dylan 'baking' unattended in their pyjamas and absolutely lost it — including shoving Nicholas into a filling bathtub. Reid arrived at work and was summoned unexpectedly into his boss' office, where he was told the results of his boss' conversation with his bothersome coworker . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
"Reid couldn't say anything. He wanted to explode in rage and burst into sobs at the same time. He couldn't believe it. It wasn't true. How could Mr. Lindley believe Michael?
"I don't tolerate lying," Mr. Lindley said. "I can't trust someone if they lie to me, and so, because of that, I regret to inform you that you're fired."
Reid stared at him for several moments before recovering himself. "You can't do this!"
"I can, and I have to," Mr. Lindley replied. "You lied to me once, and I can't trust that you won't do it again."
"I didn't lie to you! I swear!" Reid protested, getting to his feet. "Michael's lying to you! I don't boast! And if I did boast I wouldn't boast about my finances! I'd boast about my wife!"
Mr. Lindley looked relatively unmoved, and yet hurt. He believed that Mr. Lindley liked him, and the fact that Mr. Lindley was struggling to do this was solid evidence in that direction. The problem was, Reid wasn't able to use it to swing Mr. Lindley in his direction.
"What do I have to do to prove to you that Michael lied?" Reid asked, gripping Mr. Lindley's desk.
"You can't do anything," Mr. Lindley replied, looking over his glasses rims. "It's plainly obvious to me who lied and who told the truth. I'm disappointed that you lied to me, and I'm not going to let you do it to me again. Please, go home."
Reid stared at Mr. Lindley, dumbstruck. Mr. Lindley didn't move. Reid dropped his shoulders. He'd been fired. He couldn't believe it. Finally he turned and left the office, then trudged out the side door and over to his truck.
Climbing inside, the heartbreak of the firing was washed away by a wave of rage. He swore several times, cursing Michael. He couldn't believe Michael would be that vicious toward him as to outright deceive Mr. Lindley and get him fired.
He looked toward where a truck was departing for the orchards to start picking. He gripped the steering wheel and wrung his hands around it, imagining that it was Michael's neck and he was choking all of the life out of him.
Michael had better watch out, next time he saw that bastard, that silver tongued liar, that . . . refuse, he was dead. If he ever saw Michael again Michael was going to be breathing his last, guaranteed.
Forcefully Reid turned the key in the ignition and backed out of the stall. He had never hated a man more than he hated Michael. He didn't even hate Greg as much as he hated Michael. As far as he was concerned Michael was the epitome of all evil, and Greg was his chief henchman."

No comments:

Post a Comment