Friday, November 13, 2015

Challenging: Day 11

Word Count: 66,008

Summary of Events:
Nicholas waited around at the courthouse for the beginning of the custody hearing; his lawyer was worried because Jennifer wasn't there yet, but he wasn't worried because it was still early. Jennifer was woken by a call from her lawyer ten minutes before the hearing was to start and hurried to get there, although she got pulled over and given a speeding ticket for her efforts; in the end she was thirty five minutes late. Reid was brought up to sit through the first day of his preliminary hearing which he only survived through because of Mr. Williams' relaxation. Pastor Renneberg came over to talk with Gabrielle and they decided to soak up some of the early autumn sun while they talked.

Excerpt of the Day:
""This is a really nice place you have here, I must say," Pastor Renneberg said.
"Thank you," Gabrielle said. "I really like it, and I'm glad that it's almost fully ours; unfortunately it won't be ours as soon as we'd thought."
Pastor Renneberg nodded. "That is definitely disappointing, but not always do things go according to our plans; only according to the plans of God."
"So you think God planned this?" Gabrielle asked.
"Yes," Pastor Renneberg replied. "I can't say that I know why, but I sincerely hope that whatever it is will bring Him glory."
Gabrielle nodded. It was hard to think that God could possibly have planned such a thing, being as it seemed so unplanned, but she honestly felt somewhat comforted by the thought that God had it all under control.
"Did you have a specific reason why you wanted to visit me?" Gabrielle asked.
"Somewhat," Pastor Renneberg replied. "Being as the hearing involving your husband has begun I thought maybe we should talk some more; especially with a lot of the newspaper comments I've been reading."
"I haven't been reading the newspaper or listening to the news," Gabrielle said. "I don't want to hear what they're saying or I'm going to cry."
Pastor Renneberg nodded.
"What have they been saying?" Gabrielle asked.
Pastor Renneberg smiled. "Well, it sounds like the prosecuting lawyer is convinced that they've succeeded in stopping a budding serial killer before he could get going."
Gabrielle put her hand over her mouth. Serial killer? No! Not Reid.
"However, the defense lawyer is certain that the truth will come out despite all of the sensationalism and grandiosity of the prosecution," Pastor Renneberg said. "He's quite calm and relaxed; but then again, Edwin's always been that way."
"You know him?" Gabrielle asked, startled.
"Yes, I do, actually," Pastor Renneberg replied. "He's the grandfather of my associate pastor."
"Oh," Gabrielle said. "Does he attend your church?"
"Yes, he does," Pastor Renneberg replied.
"I guessed he was a Christian because he told me when he'd visited me that he'd pray for me," Gabrielle said. "I never would've guessed that he was connected to you."
"It's because of him that I started visiting Mr. Pasula in the hospital," Pastor Renneberg said.
"Is Michael doing better?" Gabrielle asked.
"Yes, they think he's getting close to waking up, actually," Pastor Renneberg said. "It's looking good for Mr. Pasula, and I would say also for your husband."
"What do you mean?" Gabrielle asked.
"If Mr. Pasula wakes up then we don't have to worry about your husband's charges being upgraded to murder," Pastor Renneberg said. "If they remain assault charges then he gets out, but murderers don't get out for much longer. Your husband will be able to spend more time with your children while they're young like this, instead of being some stranger to them when they're adults."
Gabrielle nodded, smiling at Ivy as she peeked her head out one of the playhouse windows, her face radiant with the joy that, honestly, came from oblivion to the problems and heartbreaks of life."

No comments:

Post a Comment