Saturday, September 04, 2021

Under Illusion: Day 4

Word Count: 24,168

Summary of Events:
Dallis replaced one of the enlisted friends in keeping watch at another truck stop, where she hoped she might be able to spot the truck she was looking for, especially because the friend she'd replaced had cast doubt on the reality of such a truck existing, casting doubt on her and her brothers' wisdom and intelligence that she wanted to spite the friend for. Trace arrived in St. Louis, where he stopped at the most favourably reviewed restaurant in the area by other drivers he'd asked where he was lucky to find a two-person table that was free because the place was crowded with other truckers; before he could even order he was approached by the most beautiful young woman he'd ever seen, who asked to join him owing to the crowd, and he willingly welcomed her before the waitress came and took her drink order…

Excerpt of the Day:

“As I was saying,” the young woman said. “I’m not a truck driver.”

“So what brought you here then?” Trace asked.

“Well, I’m kind of looking for a ride,” she replied.

“I guess this would be a safer place to do it than standing on the side of the highway,” Trace said.

“Not to mention it gives me the chance to judge potential chauffeurs,” she replied.

“Not that any of us have the appropriate attire to fulfill that role,” Trace said.

“That’s alright,” she replied.

“You’re probably looking for a ride west, though, aren’t you,” Trace said.

“No, I’m actually looking for a ride east,” she replied. “I have an aunt and uncle that live in Charleston, and they’ve invited me for a visit, but… well… I can’t afford even a bus ticket there.”

“Oh,” Trace said. Considering that her clothes were somewhat well-worn, he wasn’t surprised, although he thought it was practically criminal that a young woman who looked as lovely as her was in such straits. “Well, you’re rather in luck, I’m actually headed to Charleston.”

“Seriously?” she asked.

Trace nodded. “I’m going there to pick up a load, then I head back out west.”

“And you’d be able to take me?” she asked hesitantly.

“Sure,” Trace replied. “It’s better than getting only halfway there, isn’t it?”

“Oh, thank you,” she said, looking like tears were coming to her eyes. “I do hate to impose… but I’ve tried everything else, and none of it has worked.”

“I’m sorry to hear that, but it’s no imposition, we’re headed in the same direction, so it’s all good, but we should probably pick our food or we’re never going to eat,” Trace said.

She nodded, dabbing at her eyes before picking up her menu.

Trace slowly managed to narrow down his options until he’d decided on the menu item that was most in line with what he was craving, and so ordered it when the waitress came by to enquire what they’d finally decided on.

Once she’d departed with the menus, Trace looked back toward the young woman, who looked genuinely grateful to him.

“So, I guess if we’re going to be travelling buddies we should probably know each other’s names,” Trace said. “Um, so, my name is Trace.”

“Journey,” she replied.

“Are you… from St. Louis?” Trace asked.

“I’ve spent the majority of my life here, yes,” Journey replied.

Trace nodded.

“How far west are you from?” Journey asked.

“I’ve spent just over half my life in Spokane,” Trace replied.

“Where’d you spend the other half?” Journey asked.

“Canada,” Trace replied. “I was born there.”

“Oh,” Journey said. “Why did you move?”

“My mom started dating an American,” Trace replied. “And they got married, so we stayed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment