Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Under Illusion: Day 13

Word Count: 78,109

Summary of Events:
Frustrated to the point of wanting to destroy something, and hopelessly lost, Trace pulled over his truck to stop the black cars from forcing him around and sent Dallis to get lunch because it was lunchtime. Dallis did so, and refused an offer from a man from one of the black cars to replace her. Trace plotted a route out of Dallas with the goal of reaching Amarillo and carrying on to Spokane, but when Dallis noticed, she asked Trace to change his route, telling him that not only would he still run the risk of getting killed if he ran away, but she and her brothers might also be killed for their failure to deliver, as well as promising to do what she could to keep him from getting killed and admitting that she had feelings for him…

Excerpt of the Day:

“Exactly,” Journey replied. “You’re more than a toy to play with, or a doormat to walk on, or a brute to disarm… from the moment I first saw you I doubted my ability to follow through on this whole thing, and every time you’ve touched me it’s not been either disgusting or unworthy of notice… it’s been something I’ve both wanted to never stop feeling, but also been unable to stand.”

“Are you basically trying to say you’ve fallen in love with me?” Trace asked.

“I don’t know,” Journey replied. “But I couldn’t possibly hurt you, or stand by and let you get hurt, and I especially can’t stand the idea of you possibly dying.”

Trace unfastened his seatbelt and got up from his seat, turning toward Journey, who looked at him with a touch of nervousness. He beckoned her to get up. She unfastened her seatbelt and rose.

Gently, Trace drew her into an embrace.

“There’s still a part of me that doesn’t want to trust you, and wants to hang onto the anger and resentment at your betrayal,” Trace said softly. “But, at the same time, you’ve been honest with me… more honest than I expected, and I don’t think there was necessarily any glibness or impulsivity about you last night. You made a choice, with a full consciousness of the consequences, and… honestly… it was an act of trust. You were fully vulnerable, and even though I took advantage of it more than I should’ve, I still could’ve gone further, but I don’t dare.”

Journey’s body trembled with shaky breaths, and he could feel the fear within her. He released her so he could look in her eyes, so beautiful and blue.

“I’m sorry for having been so rough with you last night,” Trace said. “I was upset at you, but I still shouldn’t have behaved that way.”

“I’ve been horrible to you,” Journey replied, fresh tears spilling onto her cheeks.

Trace raised his hands and stroked the tears aside with his thumbs. “That doesn’t justify what I did.”

“I brandished a gun at you,” Journey said.

“You don’t know if I have one,” Trace replied.

“I searched your truck once you fell asleep in St. Louis,” Journey replied. “You don’t have a gun.”

“And even if I did have one at home it wouldn’t really do me any good,” Trace admitted dryly.

Journey offered a small smile at him.

“Is El Paso our final destination?” Trace asked.

“No,” Journey whispered, shaking her head. “If he lives close to his father there’s probably at least another day and a half of driving yet. Probably two days from wherever we’ll stop tonight.”

Trace nodded.

“I should stop manipulating you,” Journey said.

“I’m making this choice as consciously as you made yours last night,” Trace replied. “I don’t want to see another beautiful, young life snuffed out if I can prevent it — and since the forces that would snuff it out are external, I have a better chance of stopping them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment