Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Under Illusion: Day 12

Word Count: 72,099

Summary of Events:
The following morning Dallis and Trace went to a restaurant for breakfast that they both thoroughly enjoyed before they set out, with Dallis and Trace both quickly noticing a lot of black cars lurking on the streets and following them out of the parking lot as they started on their way out of Dallas…

Excerpt of the Day:

Taking up her cellphone, Dallis consulted it and gave Trace the next directions he needed.

“I don’t know that I’m going that way,” Trace said warily as they reached the point where he was supposed to turn.

Dallis looked and saw that several black cars were blocking the way, and two of them had rear passenger windows open with guns poking out.

“Well… then…” Dallis said, looking to her cellphone. “Try and find I-twenty. We’re supposed to spend most of the day on that before taking the I-ten to El Paso.”

“So I guess we’re having tacos tonight then,” Trace said.

“Tacos?” Dallis asked.

“Yeah,” Trace replied. “You know, the company that make the taco seasoning and sell the jalapeños, taco shells, nachos, and salsa and stuff. They’re called El Paso. Always the yellow labels with the tile roof above the kind of rusty-coloured words.”

“Oh,” Dallis said. “Well, I don’t think we necessarily have to have tacos.”

“So long as there’s no hot peppers on them it shouldn’t be too bad,” Trace said. “I can do a little bit of spice, but I’m not one of those guys who eats hot peppers like candy.”

“Yeah, I’m not really the biggest on spice either,” Dallis agreed. “Oh!”

Even though she was far above the car that had startled her, Dallis drew her hands up to her face and lifted her right leg away from the door.

“I won’t drive against the traffic no matter how little there is thank you very much,” Trace said tersely. “Nor will I get shot at. I don’t believe I’m carrying anything explosive as I’m sure I would’ve been told even if I’ve got the training to haul that kind of stuff safely, but I don’t want to find out by going ‘boom’.”
“No, no, definitely not,” Dallis said.

“I’m pretty sure they’re legally required to put special notification things about such on the trailers too, and my little sign-holders are empty, so I don’t think I am,” Trace said. 

“Even still, getting shot isn’t the sort of thing I’ve ever thought might be a good time,” Dallis said.

“Yet you’d shoot me,” Trace said.

“No,” Dallis replied.

“So then all the gun brandishing you’ve been doing is an empty threat?” Trace asked.

“It wasn’t to start with,” Dallis replied.

“So then are you saying that I did seduce you into changing your mind?” Trace asked.

“I don’t know what I should do anymore,” Dallis replied, tears rising to her eyes unbidden.

“What do you mean?” Trace asked, his tone softening.

“I don’t need the money,” Dallis replied. “I have plenty of money. My dad left me and my brothers a lot of money. But the person who asked us to do this is kind of a friend, I think. His dad and our dad were friends, really good friends, so I don’t want to upset him, but…”

“Your heart isn’t in it?” Trace asked.

“No,” Dallis replied. “It isn’t.”

No comments:

Post a Comment