Saturday, October 10, 2020

Whatever It Takes: Day 9

 Word Count: 54,047

Summary of Events:
Josiah travelled to Glasgow for the weekend to formally meet Evangelina's family. Evangelina was delighted to see him and ran to greet him; concerned she might trip and fall, Josiah ran to her and after catching her in his arms lost his balance and bruised his tailbone, but refused to let himself be hindered by the pain, even going for a short ride with Evangelina before he decided to take the time while she was changing out of her riding habit to go speak to her father about courting her . . .

Excerpt of the Day:

As he turned the corner to head down the corridor he was sure Mr. Dunbar’s study was located down Josiah startled rather violently to see Radcliff standing in the corridor as if waiting for him.

Although instinctively alarmed, Josiah elected for politeness. “Good afternoon.”

“Good afternoon Mr. MacEachern,” Radcliff replied, sounding somewhat annoyed, and practically spitting out MacEachern like it was a profanity.

“Your father is in his study, right?” Josiah asked.

“What are you wanting to speak to him about?” Radcliff asked.

“I don’t think that should take much guessing,” Josiah replied.

“You’ve hardly known each other for a month,” Radcliff said. “Don’t you have two years yet before you can leave?”

“I’m not asking for marriage,” Josiah replied. “Just courtship.”

“Oh,” Radcliff said, sounding sceptical.

“I’ve heard that you’ve met some not-so-nice MacEacherns,” Josiah said.

“That is rather understating the facts,” Radcliff said.

“Well what are the facts then?” Josiah asked.

“The facts are that they were controlling, vicious, and utterly contemptible,” Radcliff replied. “They had every intention of crushing the life out of my friend and turning him into their puppet. That’s the last thing I want happening to my sister.”

“And it won’t,” Josiah replied.

“How can I trust that?” Radcliff asked sharply.

“Have I given you any reason to believe otherwise?” Josiah asked. “Have you noticed any unfavourable change in your sister?”

“I haven’t yet determined whether the change I’ve observed is favourable or not,” Radcliff replied. “But there has been a change, and I’ve seen rather little of you, considering your fainting act.”

“I sustained a rather minor injury in efforts undertaken to protect your sister from worse,” Josiah replied.

“Is that so?” Radcliff challenged.

“What do I have to do to prove that I’m not one of those MacEacherns?” Josiah asked, a touch of frustration tightening his voice. “Just tell me.”

“Who is your father?” Radcliff asked.

“Reverend Knox MacEachern,” Josiah replied.

“That’s where the name came from,” Radcliff said. “What about your grandfather?”

“I never met my paternal grandfather,” Josiah replied.

“You don’t have to have met him, you just have to know his name,” Radcliff snapped.

“I don’t know it,” Josiah replied. “I’ve never met my father’s family.”

Radcliff looked sceptical.

“I never even met my father,” Josiah said.

“Why not?” Radcliff probed.

“He died before I was born,” Josiah replied. “I don’t know what the disease was that killed him, but it killed one of my older brothers too.”

“Do you know where your father’s family lives?” Radcliff asked.

“I’ve been told they live at Kirkcaldy,” Josiah replied.

“Is that so?” Radcliff asked.

“Yes,” Josiah replied.

“If you were wanting me to like you, you just gave me the wrong answer,” Radcliff said.

“The nasty MacEacherns are from Kirkcaldy?” Josiah asked.

“The uncle lives there, yes,” Radcliff replied. “In the old family house.”

“But I’ve never met them,” Josiah said. “Doesn’t that count for something?”

“You could be lying through your teeth to me,” Radcliff replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment