Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Whatever It Takes: Day 5

 Word Count: 30,028

Summary of Events:
Josiah returned to Linlithgow from his first week of medical classes for the year in Edinburgh to spend the weekend at home, where he would be hosting Evangelina for her first visit to Linlithgow. After collecting her from the train station Josiah took her to the house, where they sat down for dinner right away and the conversation was dominated by Uncle Roderick and Aunt Samuela talking with Evangelina, including about her work among the less fortunate in Glasgow, which caused her to reveal she'd been involved in the delivery of over half a dozen babies — while Josiah, the medical student, hadn't even attended one . . .

Excerpt of the Day:

“You could be a nurse or something,” Uncle Roderick said.

“It might be an idea,” Evangelina said. “Considering my practical experience and such, and it would be useful on the mission field, as there is the possibility that a man might be unwelcome in some circumstances, depending on the culture.”

“You are wanting to be a missionary?” Aunt Samuela asked.

“Yes,” Evangelina replied. “My father and stepmother are rather concerned about the idea, considering the fact that I was given much grace to survive my first few hours, much less now nearly two decades, but I am quite certain and convinced of my calling, and they are striving to trust that God will take care of me and would not give me this calling if I had not the fortitude to fulfill it insomuch as He intends me to.”

“But what about your work in Glasgow?” Uncle Roderick asked.

“That I am considering my practise,” Evangelina replied. “I’m not alone in the work, my father and stepmother wouldn’t let me be involved at all if I were, there are many others, and owing to concerns of my health, some of which I do believe are unwarranted, they do a lot more of the work than I do. For the most part I champion the cause among the wealthier people who have the means to contribute to the care of these people in need.”

“Well I am certainly interested in offering subscriptions wherever I can,” Uncle Roderick said. “Even if I have little to do in Glasgow, should you have any pressing needs I would be willing to offer a contribution.”

“I don’t believe we have anything pressing at the moment,” Evangelina said. “But if we do I will certainly apprise Josiah so that he can inform you.”

“That would be more than fine,” Uncle Roderick said. “Not that there aren’t a good plenty of causes around here too, and more beyond Scotland. I do a lot of subscribing, but even still it feels as if a drop in the ocean.”

“It probably is,” Evangelina said. “Notwithstanding, it’s probably better to contribute a few drops to the ocean than to merely gaze upon it.”

“Surely it is,” Uncle Roderick agreed. “Even if they are the tiniest of little diamonds fitted into a heavenly crown, a myriad of tiny diamonds is better than none at all, and even better than just one great one.”

“Indeed,” Evangelina agreed.

Everyone, surprisingly, lapsed into silence. Josiah’s biggest surprise was that Mother was silent, and had been silent for the bulk of the time. Had it not been for Uncle Roderick and Aunt Samuela the entire meal would have thus far passed in silence, which was highly out of character for Mother.

Part of Josiah wondered if it had something to do with the fact that Uncle Roderick had chastised her for thanking him in Chinese, or if it was because she harboured disfavour toward Evangelina, despite the fact that Evangelina had — he was certain — quite clearly stated her intentions to become a missionary, just as Mother wanted him to do.


Pronunciations:

Samuela: sahmyouellah

No comments:

Post a Comment