Wednesday, October 07, 2020

Whatever It Takes: Day 6

 Word Count: 36,112

Summary of Events:
Josiah took Evangelina out for a ride, with her borrowing one of his aunt's horses, and they talked mostly of horses and family members as they rode casually through the Scottish countryside. Unfortunately, the ride wearied Evangelina significantly, preventing her from even being able to join Josiah at church the following morning, so Josiah took lunch up to the sitting room where she'd been moved and kept her company as she dined . . .

Excerpt of the Day:

“Where do you believe God has called you to serve on the mission field?” she asked.

Josiah was silent. He felt torment swell and stir in him. The truth of the matter was that he didn’t think God had called him to the mission field at all, but, at the same time, considering that he’d been introduced to Evangelina as someone who was going to be a missionary, he didn’t dare disappoint her and tell her that.

He also had no intentions of telling her that Mother wanted him to go to China, because he’d certainly never been captivated by a desire to go there, as the way Mother talked about China made it sound more fearsome than the slums; on the other hand, letters and stories of the colonies in North America, the Caribbean, Africa, and Australasia had captivated him and filled him with a deep desire to see them all.

“I don’t know,” he finally admitted. “I’ve not really had a specific place in mind.”

Evangelina nodded.

“What about you?” Josiah asked.

A smile came over Evangelina’s face and despite there still being signs of weariness, it was overwhelmed by a joy, enthusiasm, and anticipation that Josiah wished he could feel about going as a missionary.

“I want to go to the Navigator Islands*,” she replied, looking at him with a near-rapturous gaze.

“Where are those?” Josiah asked.

“In the South Pacific,” Evangelina replied.

“Oh,” Josiah said. “Somewhat close to Australia and New Zealand?”

“Yes,” Evangelina replied.

“How did you hear about them?” Josiah asked.

“My favourite book,” Evangelina replied. “John Williams was a missionary to the South Pacific, and he describes the Navigator Islands. As soon as I read about them I knew that I had to go there, and I had to minister to those people.”

“Oh,” Josiah said. “Why?”

“I don’t know that I can explain it,” Evangelina replied. “Sometimes such a call can’t really be explained.”

“Well, I would presume you have a copy of the book,” Josiah said.

“Yes,” Evangelina replied.

“Do you think I could borrow it, to read it?” Josiah asked.

“Absolutely,” Evangelina replied. “I’ll make sure to leave it with you.”

“You mean you brought it?” Josiah asked.

“Yes,” Evangelina replied. “It has a bit of a dictionary and grammar of the languages of the South Pacific in it, and I’ve been studying it so that I know the language, I do a little bit of study every day.”

“Oh,” Josiah said. “Well, then, I wouldn’t want to interrupt your studies.”

“But if I’m waiting to apply to a mission society until you’re a doctor, I have time yet to study the language, besides, I have memorised a good deal of it already,” Evangelina assured him. “I also don’t think you would necessarily be a slow reader who would struggle, considering that you’re studying to be a doctor.”

“No,” Josiah agreed. “Uncle Roderick thinks I need to read slower because I can’t possibly take in all the words with how fast I do.”


*the Navigator Islands was an early European name for what is now Samoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment