Monday, September 21, 2020

Found Missing: Day 18

 Word Count: 108,015

Summary of Events:
Dallas existed in something of a fog for the rest of the day, and several days following, unable to believe that Mrs. Hardwick was dead. Upon returning to Strathmore, Dallas actually spent his nights in Blake's spare bedroom as opposed to staying in a hotel because nightmares of the incident tormented him and he didn't really want to be alone. Once everything had been done in Alberta that could be, Dallas and Det. Sgt. Nash returned to North Battleford, where all their fellow officers were gathered to greet them and offer condolences for their failure to bring Mrs. Hardwick home alive . . .

Excerpt of the Day:

Cpl. Richard found Dallas and swallowed him in a bear hug. At once the image of Mrs. Hardwick’s killing sprang to Dallas’ mind and the tears he’d been wanting to cry for the last four days finally came out. He clung to Cpl. Richard and sobbed.

“It’s tough, I know,” Cpl. Richard said. “I know. I cried when I found out and I was over here. I felt bad for you, kid. You’ve worked hard on this, and I wanted to see you have a sweet victory, not a bittersweet one.”
Dallas felt another hand touch his back.

“Come here,” S/Sgt. Colvin said.

Cpl. Richard released Dallas, who reluctantly released him and accepted S/Sgt. Colvin’s embrace.

Dallas sobbed into his shoulder for a long time, hearing the sounds of the other officers talking with Det. Sgt. Nash as he accepted their embraces and condolences at the bitter turn in the case.

“You’ve done a good job kid,” S/Sgt. Colvin finally said. “Even if it didn’t end how we wanted it, we owe a lot to you for having even found her in the first place. Don’t think you’re a failure for this either. It happens to the best of us. We’re only human. Alright?”

Dallas nodded, not lifting his head.

“Let me see your face kid,” S/Sgt. Colvin said, letting go of Dallas, who released him reluctantly and attempted to swipe tears from his eyes with his bare hands — which was always easier said than done.

Cpl. Richard handed him a tissue, with which Dallas immediately dabbed his eyes and nose.

“If you need a couple days, let me know,” S/Sgt. Colvin said. “Do you want to take a couple days? Maybe go spend some time with family?”

“I don’t know,” Dallas replied.

S/Sgt. Colvin nodded.

“And AL said you spent the night with a friend before coming back,” Cpl. Richard said. “Are you going to be okay on your own?”

“I need to try,” Dallas replied.

“But if you need someone, just call me,” Cpl. Richard said. “Okay?”

Dallas nodded.

“And you let me know if you need some days,” S/Sgt. Colvin said. “I don’t want you to tear yourself up.”

“I will,” Dallas replied, nodding. “I’m just glad I can cry.”

“What do you mean?” S/Sgt. Colvin asked.

“I’ve been trying to cry since she was shot,” Dallas replied, dabbing the blur out of his eyes. “And I just couldn’t do it.”

“I’m glad you wanted to cry,” S/Sgt. Colvin said.

“I just feel like it’s taken pressure away,” Dallas said. “I just, I feel like it’s real now.”

“That’s good,” S/Sgt. Colvin said. “That’s good.”

“I kind of almost feel like I could get on with life now,” Dallas said.

“Well, don’t fake it if you can’t,” Cpl. Richard said.

“I won’t,” Dallas replied, shaking his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment