Saturday, September 12, 2020

Found Missing: Day 11

 Word Count: 66,055

Summary of Events:
Dallas continued to engage in general policing duties while he waited both for Det. Sgt. Nash to be done testifying and for answers about where Talbert Brauer had settled. On the day Det. Sgt. Nash was finally done testifying Dallas got those answers, and he immediately went to reveal it all. Unsurprisingly, Det. Sgt. Nash wasn't impressed that Dallas had compiled all kinds of information while he'd found nothing, and took Dallas to the detachment's commanding officer, S/Sgt. Colvin, to whom Dallas repeated what he'd told Det. Sgt. Nash, overwhelmed by paranoia that he was going to be fired on the spot . . .

Excerpt of the Day:

S/Sgt. Colvin’s eyebrows raised as Dallas relayed everything, and he read the papers he was handed with an apparent interest. Dallas’ heart pounded, especially as S/Sgt. Colvin read the last pages.

“And you compiled all of this while still carrying out your regular duties?” S/Sgt. Colvin asked.

“Yes sir,” Dallas replied. “All of the stuff that involved leaving town I did on days off and out of uniform.”

S/Sgt. Colvin nodded.

“It was a severe overreach and abuse of my duties and authority,” Dallas said. “I, I just, in a way, I, I felt like, like I found the puzzle, but when I, I guess, kind of, showed it off,  it was taken from me, and I wasn’t allowed to help put it together, and, and so I stole some of the important pieces, and put them together. But that was . . . childish of me to have done. I should’ve stuck to my duties, instead of doing others’ for them. I’m sorry sir.”

Dallas removed his hat and set it on S/Sgt. Colvin’s desk, tears threatening to rush into his eyes and down his cheeks. He was sure the only course of action was for him to be fired.

“You certainly did overstep your authority,” S/Sgt. Colvin said, his voice not angry, but not what could be considered altogether kind. “As good of work as you did while doing so. Notwithstanding, I can tell that you were not malicious in so doing, if anything, it was, as you said, a childish jealousy that made you want to be able to have a part in the investigation, and I can’t say that such an opportunity should have been denied you, for you did find it, and you did do a lot of good legwork before you even brought it to our attention. Indeed, you’ve always shown yourself to have a good attention to detail that would be valuable in an investigation such as this.”

Dallas kept his gaze locked on his hands, which clung to each other in order to hopefully hide how badly they were shaking with fear of having to leave the detachment never to return.

“I will have to examine protocol for this situation,” S/Sgt. Colvin said. “But, seeing as you are very cognisant of your oversteps, and very penitent with regard to having done them, I see no reason to exercise any punishment on you outside of what is prescribed in protocol.”

“I understand,” Dallas said.

“No,” S/Sgt. Colvin said. “I don’t think you do.”

Dallas lifted his gaze and looked at S/Sgt. Colvin, who stood up, came around the desk, and placed Dallas’ hat back on his head before he took a gentle hold of Dallas’ chin.

“You’re not out of a job,” S/Sgt. Colvin said. “I’m not going to fire you for this.”

“Isn’t that what’s required?” Dallas asked.

“I certainly don’t think it is,” S/Sgt. Colvin said. “And I’m not going to act until I’ve double-checked the rules.”


Abbreviation:

S/Sgt: Staff-Sergeant

No comments:

Post a Comment