Monday, May 28, 2018

Clouding: Day 13

Word Count: 78,039

Summary of Events:
Theresa was visited by Bennett and was more than a little upset by statements suggesting that he seemed to believe Mr. Peck's assertion that Asher was Bullseye, which prompted her to terminate their relationship. Asher and the Apaches who'd survived had all regrouped and one of them quite vehemently argued that they should kill people from Tucson in retribution for their men who had been killed. Theresa's oldest brother had come by — as the posse had returned to town following the chase — for breakfast and Theresa mistook him for her father before they sat down to breakfast and discussed things . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
"I'd be interested in riding out to their camp and telling them that it's only certain corrupt men who fired at their men," Patrice said. "Unfortunately I have my doubts that I'd be all that well received. It would probably be a better idea to see what we can do to rid this town of Bartholomew Peck. It's taken far too little time for him to ruin everything Papa had created. He'd established something of a peace with the Apache, he'd intimidated crime, and he'd stood up for justice. Now we've killed Apache men, done nothing about crime, and randomly accused whoever we want to think is guilty purely on some of the flimsiest circumstantial evidence I've ever seen."
"I can't believe he was named sheriff without all the proper protocol being followed," Mama said.
"I bet it was waived because of the circumstances," Patrice replied.
"Bartholomew had the authority he needed as acting sheriff to do what needed to be done," Mama said.
"He wanted the position so that he could kill without question," Theresa said.
Mama sighed. "It's certainly looking more and more like that was the case."
"I could see him forcing himself into power by backwoods routes," Patrice said. "I can't say that I ever liked him. There was something arrogant about him always. How did Papa stand him?"
"Well," Mama replied. "I think Jeremy had hopes of being able to mentor Bartholomew longer so that he would be a better lawman. Unfortunately such is not the case."
Theresa's eyes blurred with tears she furiously dabbed away with Mama's handkerchief.
Patrice sighed. "I doubt Mr. Traynor will even listen to us."
"I think he might," Mama said. "After all, Jeremy was sheriff here for a decently long time. I think he would respect that, not to mention if we explain to him that the safety that Tucson enjoyed under Jeremy is in jeopardy and that Bartholomew is doing a generally poor job of getting things done as they ought to be done, I'm sure he'll listen."
"I fear you underestimate Bartholomew's influence," Patrice said.
"I don't think it's influence all that much," Mama replied. "I think it's just that people have been frustrated with the elusiveness of Bullseye so much that they're willing to believe any theory that anyone presents as to who Bullseye might be."
"Even the people of Tucson?" Patrice asked.
"I wouldn't see why not," Mama replied. "He's been a terror in these parts for longer than we've lived here. The fact that even their sheriff who was so committed to justice couldn't catch him somehow has to be frustrating."
"But did he ever really put a concentrated effort into it?" Patrice asked.
"I don't think that would be a concern of all that many people, even though he never did," Mama replied. "It doesn't matter if Bullseye was looked for or not. It matters whether he was caught or not."
"I guess so," Patrice said.

No comments:

Post a Comment