Thursday, November 02, 2017

Ramifications: Day 2

Word Count: 12,193

Summary of Events:
Dom arrived at the Shelter and found Lachlan asleep on the doorstep; after waking Lachlan Dom got him some dry clothes to wear and then went to make him a plate of breakfast. Lachlan ate the breakfast and eventually talked to Dom a little bit before Dom left to get him some fuel to top up his motorcycle that Lachlan accepted without paying for somewhat begrudgingly. Dom sat in his office at the Shelter and thought about Lachlan until his wife came to the door . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
"Dom smiled somewhat wryly. "What is it love?"
"I was just wondering what you learned from the young man you found on the doorstep," Bethany replied. "He certainly left in an awful hurry."
"What do you mean?" Dom asked.
"Well, we were setting up breakfast and all of the sudden he came charging through the kitchen and left," Bethany replied. "You'd been gone all of a couple minutes."
"But he was here when I came back," Dom said. "He was outside, but he was here."
"Oh," Bethany said.
"He's not one who accepts charity willingly, though," Dom said. "So I wouldn't be surprised if he left so as to not associate with our friends who come here for breakfast."
"He tried to pay you for the petrol?" Bethany asked.
"Yes," Dom replied. "I do believe that I somewhat diffused his efforts by telling him that the Shelter operates without a bank account. Besides, it wasn't like he had the money to pay me for it anyways, he'd told me so himself."
"So he'd run out of petrol and had no money to get more was why he was n the doorstep?" Bethany asked.
"Yes," Dom replied. "At least the best I can conjecture. He's currently out looking for a place to stay amongst his contacts. He'll be back to collect his dry clothes sometime today."
"You mean he hasn't anywhere to stay?" Bethany asked.
"Yes," Dom replied. "He doesn't, odd as it is to put it that way."
"Do you think he'll find something among his contacts?" Bethany asked.
"I don't know," Dom replied.
"Should we look among our own, just in case?" Bethany asked.
"I was planning on doing as much myself, yes, love," Dom replied. "If all else fails, though, do you think it would be alright if we took him in, at least until he could find a different place?"
"I don't know," Bethany replied. "What is he like? Did he tell you his name?"
"Yes," Dom replied. "After I told him mine. I can't believe I forgot to introduce myself until he prompted me. His name is Lachlan. He didn't volunteer anything more than that name-wise. He seems to be a lone-wolf sort, who thinks its him against the world."
Bethany shook her head. Dom could tell she felt the same sadness he did at that fact.
"Regardless of what he's like, though, if he's only temporary," Dom said. "It would be fine, no?"
Bethany shifted her jaw. "I guess so. I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about him, though."
"I'll have to see what I can learn from him when he comes back for the rest of his clothes," Dom replied. "It may not be much, though, love."
"It may not even matter either," Bethany said. "If he finds a place, or if you find somewhere else for him."
Dom nodded. "And I should get on that, too."
"I'll leave you to it then," Bethany said."

No comments:

Post a Comment