Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Ramifications: Day 18

Word Count: 108,107

Summary of Events:
Lachlan arrived at Dom and Bethany's house and was surprised to find Bethany mixing cookie dough, which he watched before heading to his room. Dom got called by a newspaper reporter who seemed nicer than the rest and agreed to do an interview with him the next morning before learning that Bethany's brother and his wife had welcomed their third child, which made Bethany quite sad. Lachlan went to the police impound to rescue his bike, but got found out by the police and eventually was forced to destroy his bike before being grabbed and knocked unconscious. Dom was called by the reporter and gave the interview, including listing all the ways in which the media had bothered him and other Shelter people to that point . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""That's quite a lot of bother," Mr. Abbott said. "Why does this bother you?"
"Because part of the reason I left Melbourne was to get out of the media spotlight because it was taking away the attention I needed," Dom replied. "I refuse to be a member of Australian High Society, regardless of who my parents are. I am Dom O'Shea, your average Australian citizen, and I want to be nothing more."
"You're content to live the simple life then?" Mr. Abbot asked.
"Indubitably," Dom replied.
"You've chosen to forsake the life you were born into and minister to the lowest of the low," Mr. Abbott said.
"Yes," Dom replied. "And I chose to do so because that high society life turned me into one of the lowest of the low by what it took from me. I became one of the people I now serve, and it was through the people who served me that I came to be in a position of offering that same service to people who are just like I was once. I couldn't be happier if I could be left alone to live my life the way I've chosen to live it."
"Now, you say that the high society life took things from you," Mr. Abbott said. "I'd like to know what it took from you, if you don't mind?"
"It took my parents from me," Dom replied quietly.
"And that's how they wronged you?" Mr. Abbott asked.
"Yes," Dom replied.
"I see," Mr. Abbott said quietly.
"I'd rather, though, if you would, kindly, leave out the bits about my parents, if it's possible," Dom said. "I'd much rather they figure it out on their own than be told, if they're capable of such."
"I'll do my best Mr. O'Shea," Mr. Abbott replied. "Just, one more question: if people want to know more about the Shelter, what's the best way they can do so?"
"They can come and volunteer," Dom replied. "We have a very up-to-date website where they can sign up according to their schedule and they can come serve a meal or do any number of other things detailed on the website."
"Which is?" Mr. Abbott asked.
"Theshelter.au*," Dom replied.
"Thank you for your time Mr. O'Shea," Mr. Abbott said.
"Thank you for your courtesy," Dom replied. "If you would like to do another article on the Shelter I'd be more than willing to both let and help you."
"I'll remember that," Mr. Abbott said.
The call ended, Dom set the receiver down and sighed. He could only hope that this article would satisfy everyone's appetites and get them to realise that he just wanted to be left well enough alone."

*not an actual website; or, if it is, it is completely unrelated to this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment