Monday, September 11, 2017

Baffin Island: Day 7

Word Count: 45,046

Summary of Events:
Kyle spied what appeared to be seal, but upon the group's approaching them, they realised that they were walrus, which weren't worth trying to catch if they couldn't catch a seal. As they continued walking they got discussing the validity of respecting other people's desires and choices, which Yukon had initially feared would explode into an argument. Waking up the next morning, Yukon discovered some seals had come to the beach just beyond them after they'd gone to sleep and woke up Ben, Josh, and Alex to help him get one at last; unfortunately all the seals got woken up — but thankfully not before they'd secured their decided victim . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
"Yukon grimaced at the pain of the rope tightening and pinning his fingers between it and the neck flesh of the seal. He took the knife and struck it across the seal's neck.
Instantly the seal bellowed out in pain and turned toward Yukon with teeth bared once again.
Finding his mark, Yukon struck the knife through it again as the seal's head sagged weakly. Yukon quickly pulled his other hand free from the rope and dropped the knife before wrapping his arms around the seal's lower body as his friends scrambled to their feet.
"Pull!" Yukon shouted.
They pulled back while Yukon did his best to hold the seal in place.
"Release!" Yukon shouted.
"What are you trying to get us to do?" Ben demanded.
"One hard jerk!" Yukon replied.
"Alright," Ben said. "One, two, three, pull!"
A loud snap sounded in Yukon's ear. He released the seal and straightened.
"Why did you want the rope lifted?" Ben asked.
"So I wouldn't cut it when I went to cut the seal," Yukon replied.
"Why didn't you move right away when we lifted then?" Josh asked.
"I don't know," Yukon replied.
"What was with the jerk here now?" Alex asked.
"To break his neck," Yukon replied. "That ensures he's wholly dead."
"Well it's successfully dead," Ben said. "And that's what's important."
"Now we get the eyeballs!" Alex said gleefully.
"Dibs!" Josh exclaimed.
"I get the other one!" Alex said.
"What?" Ben swore. "Yukon and I came up with the idea."
"But Yukon said I'd get one if I helped," Alex said.
"Didn't I say there might be an eyeball in it for you?" Yukon asked.
"Come on, please?" Alex asked.
"Yukon's the one who's been through all kinds of stuff throughout our trip," Josh said.
Alex looked at them sadly. "But I'm the youngest one here!"
"No, actually," Yukon said. "Ryan's two months younger."
"So you mean he hasn't had his birthday yet?" Ben asked.
"It's later on in the month," Yukon replied.
"Am I still the oldest?" Josh asked.
"No," Yukon replied. "Kyle had his birthday in March."
"And I know I'm younger than JT because I'm born in December," Ben said. "But regardless of your age Alex, you haven't been through half of what Yukon's been through."
Alex sighed.
"You can have it," Yukon said. "I don't know if I said I might or not, so I did kind of promise it to you."
"But Ben's right," Alex said. "You've been through a lot."
"There's still time to catch another seal before we head inland," Yukon replied. "And if we don't then you just owe me one next time you go hunting."
"Wouldn't you much rather have it fresh, though?" Alex asked.
"I still have a chance," Yukon replied. "And if not, invite me hunting then."
Alex shifted his jaw.
"Let's carry this thing back to the camp so we can get started cooking it and have it ready for breakfast," Ben said. "We'll discuss the eyeballs once we have them out.""

No comments:

Post a Comment