Monday, September 18, 2017

Baffin Island: Day 13

Word Count: 90,032

Summary of Events:
Cresting a ridge, the group was prompted to stop by the breathtaking sight of Lake Amadjuak which lay below them. Alex lost his cellphone when he nearly fell trying to take a picture of the lake. Yukon was woken up by a strange sound that Ben went to investigate before trying to fight a wolf for the rabbit it was trying to take; Yukon came to Ben's aid and successfully killed the wolf before tending to Ben's extensive wounds. Later on they stopped for a breather — being as Ryan was trying to walk more, and Ben was still rough from the attack — and Yukon and Kyle went down to the lakeshore to top up their water bottles before they moved on; on the way down Kyle dropped his cellphone . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""I need to find my cellphone," Kyle said. "Did you see where it landed?"
"In the lake," Yukon replied.
"It's waterproof to thirty metres," Kyle said, then furrowed his brow. "Or maybe it's thirty feet."
"Kyle, come on," Yukon said, putting on his socks.
"This is cold water!" Kyle shrieked.
"See?" Yukon said. "Come on."
"I have to find my phone!" Kyle cried. "Even if I lose my feet and legs in the process!"
"It's not worth it Kyle," Yukon said.
"I've got invaluable footage on it!" Kyle exclaimed. "If I want a complete documentary of our trek I need that footage!"
Yukon sighed. "Kyle, I didn't even see where it landed other than in the lake, we don't need to be held up for hours. We want to go home."
He stood on the shore and watched as Kyle scoured the waters frantically looking for any sign of his cellphone. 
Eventually Yukon tied himself back to his rope and leaned casually against the rock face, watching as Kyle desperately searched. He checked his watch. It was ten to the hour.
"You have ten minutes before I'm hauling you out of there and forcing you back up the hill without it," Yukon said. "I'm waiting no longer than that."
"I have to find it!" Kyle cried. "I refuse to leave it here!"
"Then you should've put it in a more secure pocket," Yukon said. "Not that the security of your GoPro helped it any."
"What?" Kyle exclaimed, looking at Yukon.
"Yeah, those rocks that hit your head cracked the face, I think they may've even corked the lens," Yukon replied.
Kyle swore. "Even more reason to– there it is!"
He scrambled off to the east and thrust a hand into the water that emerged triumphantly, the Toronto Blue Jays logo-adorned side of the case facing Yukon.
"Now to get some shots," Kyle said.
"Six minutes and we're out of here," Yukon said.
"I think it's literally frozen," Kyle said. "I need to thaw it out."
Yukon watched as Kyle pinned his phone between his thighs and stood there for a long time. It was three minutes to the hour when he finally got it thawed enough to take some shots.
"We're shoreside on Lake Amadjuak, just topping up our water supplies." Kyle narrated. "It took awhile to thaw this thing out, as it landed in the lake, but I would not leave it behind, and I thankfully don't have to. The water in this lake is way too cold for its own good, I'm surprised there's no ice cubes in it, but I have to say this is a way prettier sight than I expected."
"I think it's because of the fact that there's less heat here, which fosters the growth of algae and other bacterias," Yukon replied. "You have forty five seconds."
"Man, you're serious about your time limit," Kyle said. "I'm coming.""

Pronunciation:
Amadjuak: uhmahd'youack

No comments:

Post a Comment