Friday, September 15, 2017

Baffin Island: Day 11

Word Count: 75,017

Summary of Events:
The group came upon a rabbit hole, but Ben failed to catch the rabbit. Yukon found himself feeling quite irritable, and was encouraged by JT to take some time to himself. Yukon felt somewhat better after doing so, although he also felt a lot like giving up, which he first confessed to JT before deciding that he ought to tell everyone else as well . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""I like that pack idea," Ryan said. "It's almost like wolves."
"That's kind of why I said it," Yukon replied.
"What do you mean?" Kyle asked.
"I feel like giving up," Yukon replied.
Kyle's jaw dropped. Ryan lifted the touque to look at Yukon for a brief moment before grimacing and putting the touque back down.
"Did I really just here you say that?" Ryan asked. "The Indefatigable Yukon Sarka actually wants to give up?"
"Yes," Yukon replied.
"Somebody better write that down," Ryan said. "Or are you rolling Kyle?"
"Not even close," Josh replied. "Unless you count the drool rolling out of his mouth as his jaw hangs slack in astonishment."
"I wanted to give up when we started this hunger trek," Alex said. "I don't see how activists can go on fasts for their causes. I don't have a cause and I don't ever want one."
"I was ready to give up when you told me this was all your fault," Ben said. "You've never been so obstinately self-condemning like that before. I never would've dreamed you would ever be so convinced that you're the bad guy in all this."
"I was ready to give up after Ryan nearly drowned." Josh said.
"I was ready to give up after the first day," Ryan said. "I'm actually enjoying this whole being carried around thing, except for my head hurting. But at least my legs aren't tired anymore."
"See, you are the last one," JT said.
Yukon sighed. "But to continue, as much as I feel like giving up, and I know that we all feel the same, we've kept going because the others around us have inspired us to keep going; after all, the only way we can get home is if we get ourselves there. Literally no one aside from us seven knows where we are, and they won't likely figure it out very soon either, considering that we've travelled over four hundred kilometres away from the helicopter, which is where they're going to go first."
"That's a pleasant thought," Ryan said.
"We have to get ourselves home whether we like it or not, and we've travelled four hundred kilometres so far, which is no small feat," Yukon said. "It's only because we're all in this together that we're going to make it the next four hundred kilometres."
"That sounds really inspiring, actually," Ryan said. "Like something some hero guy would say in a movie."
"I don't feel like a hero," Yukon said.
"You aren't really a hero, though," JT said. "It's not like we were in distress and you saved us. You're just the guy who's brought us together and held us together, even when we haven't really wanted to do this together. You're the one common factor we have, the glue that's kept us all together, and the one who knows the way home too.""

No comments:

Post a Comment