Saturday, January 07, 2017

Everliving: Day 6

Word Count: 36,008

Summary of Events:
Quique found the cook trying to cook in the dark and, when he brought a light, discovered that the cook wasn't using flour; he was unsure of what the cook was using until when the cook tried to heat what he was making and it exploded, proving that it was gunpowder. Bethania and her family went for their weekly tour of the city, but all of them were down at the memory of their youngest sister, who'd passed in the spring and greatly enjoyed those trips, so they went home early and she and her father got into an argument again . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""When the brave and valiant men that I've sent off to the Utter West return with the water and it brings me healing, then you shall know," he said firmly.
A knock sounded and startled all of them. The manservant rose and hurried to the door. He returned with a roll of paper in his hand.
"You've received a message," the manservant said.
"Read it to me," he replied. "Relieve my mind of my troublesome daughter."
"Who still remains in this room," Bethania snapped bitterly.
She watched as the manservant broke the wax seal on the ribbon which fastened the roll and uncurled it.
"Your most esteemed highness, King of Ñapesa and the grand territories of the Utter West, it is with great regret that I write you," the manservant read. "For you called me a man of bravery and mettle, a man of valour and strength, and a man in whom you took great pride, but yet I have failed you."
"Failed me?" he asked.
"Having departed with the convoy of men on that grand and glorious day," the manservant continued. "I feel even more greatly to have failed you, but we met with weather of a like I've not seen before, and which I feared my vessels could not withstand, thus I made the choice I considered regrettable in part to return here, without the curative waters which would bring you great benefit and health, but should no man have returned in some time I shall endeavour to return in the same direction and make an effort again, but I desired to send you my regrets at my failure. With all sincerity, your humble servant, Duke Luis Rodriguez."
"He's given up," Bethania said.
"Not altogether," her father replied firmly.
"But he's turned back," Bethania replied. "And nothing says he's the first one. He's just the first one who's had the mettle to tell you that he's failed, and besides, it's a fruitless endeavour anyways."
"Enough!" her father shouted, before devolving into a coughing fit that sent Rafael from the room swiftly.
"And who says any of the men who are still out there haven't been sunk already by this ferocious weather?" Bethania challenged while her father still coughed. "After all, this man was afraid his ship would break up, nothing says others haven't."
She saw her father whisper to his manservant, who raised his head and looked at her.
"He wishes you to depart his chambers," the manservant said.
Bethania exhaled sharply. "If he won't listen to logic then there is no sense in me remaining."
Turning on her heel, she stalked out of the room determinedly, angry tears blurring her vision. No matter what she tried to tell him, nor how, he obstinately refused to listen to her, and she was weary already of trying."

No comments:

Post a Comment