Friday, January 20, 2017

Everliving: Day 16

Word Count: 96,020

Summary of Events: 
Reynaldo was summoned to visit King Leopoldo, who was despairing, and worked to convince him that he could make things right with Bethania, but King Leopoldo fell asleep partway through their argument. Quique and the pirates got ready for another day of travelling and picked up some men from the ship, who told that Wardell and Gifford were plotting to rebel. Bethania, alone at a different palace, was visited by Duke Ferdinand, the palace's guardian, who quickly learned of her malcontent . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""What then be your advice to me?" Bethania asked.
"This is a time for celebration, your majesty," Duke Ferdinand replied. "A time in which families gather together and not only celebrate the festivals of the season, but also celebrate their love for one another. And yet here you are, separated from your family, thus my advice to you is that you should return home, and not make this season one of despairing and sadness."
"There is no way we can have happiness," Bethania said. "Not with their obstinacy."
"Are you any less obstinate than they?" Duke Ferdinand challenged.
"No," Bethania replied. "We are all equally obstinate. However, I am willing to lower my walls of obstinacy if they are, and I have done all my best efforts to convince them to listen to me, but they will not hear me."
Duke Ferdinand sighed. "And are you certain that you've listened to them?"
"I can't help but listen to them!" Bethania exclaimed. "They shout at me, they label me with false accusations, they subject me to be treated like an animal at auction, they subject me to ridiculous and unnecessary pageantry for the pleasing of the shallow nobility."
Duke Ferdinand looked at her soberly.
Bethania felt a twinge at her jab about shallow nobility, but she had no idea what to do to take it back.
"I'm sorry," Bethania said quietly.
"No, I agree with you, there are some particularly shallow nobility," Duke Ferdinand said. "So long as you don't think I'm one of them I'm not affronted."
Bethania sighed and looked at him. "I've heard enough from them to last me a lifetime."
"And they know you've heard them?" he asked.
"How could they not?" Bethania asked. "I've railed and argued against them for months, even though they haven't had the ears to hear me. They know I'm unhappy, but they won't believe me, and they won't listen to me to make things right."
Duke Ferdinand gathered his mouth. "Is there any way that I can help?"
"Make things right with them?" Bethania asked.
"That or otherwise," Duke Ferdinand replied.
"I think I would appreciate it if you would come by regularly," Bethania replied. "I have a feeling that I will need the companionship of someone who will talk to me as a more relative equal than the staff."
Duke Ferdinand nodded.
"In regards to making things right," Bethania said. "I know not. If you should like, I will not be against your speaking to Reynaldo to learn. He, I believe, has a more keen insight as to what could and should be done."
Duke Ferdinand nodded again. "I shall see what I can do, your majesty."
Bethania nodded. "Many thanks.""

No comments:

Post a Comment