Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Everliving: Day 14

Word Count: 84,041

Summary of Events:
Quique and the pirates stopped to camp for the night and while they were fishing for their dinner their campsite was raided, which they noticed by one of the tents being set alight; Captain Sly suspected it was his rival Melville. Bethania was visited by Maristela and baffled as her sister tried to persuade her to admit that she was in love with Reynaldo as Maristela seemed convinced she was. Quique was woken in the night by and odd sound and crept out of his tent to watch two panthers fight over some leftover fish before one noticed him; he avoided too severe of injury, mainly thanks to a small sinkhole developing. Bethania wanted to be able to catch Reynaldo to talk to him after the day's parliamentary session ended, but a different duke incited her to enter the parliamentary chamber and she listened to the discussion as it quickly escalated to chants for answers from her father . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
"Firing his pen into his inkwell, he shot to his feet, taking up the paper he'd just been writing on.
"Gentlemen!" he called. "Cease your chanting and take your seats!"
They all quietened again and sat down. Reynaldo turned in his small booth to face most of them.
"I, as you, seek answers from our king, answers to the eccentric, idiosyncratic, and generally befuddling behaviours he has been exhibiting since the day he decided on his plan to force marriage upon our elder princess," Reynaldo said, nodding to Bethania when he mentioned her. "I also appreciate the support which you have given to me, desiring that I remain here, as opposed to being disgraced. I feel it is a testament that I show the character I should like to, despite the difficulties of doing so."
Bethania glanced toward the double doors at the slight movement she'd seen out the corner of her eye. Roberto had reentered.
"I cannot say that I have all of the answers, much less any of them, but I can say that I have some insights," Reynaldo continued. "Unfortunately I cannot entirely make sense of them, especially they which are in concern of our king. I know my own motivations, and those of our princess, and I hope that consideration and discussion of these can lead to better understanding amongst us all."
Bethania had been watching Roberto's progress as he'd moved across the room. His gaze had been on Reynaldo the entire time, but now he was gazing down at her savagely.
"Your majesty, if you would kindly vacate his seat," Reynaldo said.
Bethania rose sharply and stepped aside. Roberto sat down, his eyelids lowered in a glare toward her, his jaw set.
"Meddlesome wretch," he muttered.
Bethania opened her mouth and eyes wide, utterly scandalised. She heard a shout, but that was all as she reared back her hand and slapped Roberto across the face in her fury.
"And you think I'm going to mary that dramatic, narcissistic, fanciful, effeminate, possessive, selfish, immature brat that you call a son?!" she shrieked. "I hope he died in the Western Ocean!"
"Your majesty," Reynaldo said through his teeth, suddenly at her side, his hand firmly about her arm.
"He called me a meddlesome wretch," Bethania said. "I am not going to let myself be so insulted without doing something about it."
Reynaldo looked between the two of them.
"I said nothing of the kind," Roberto said. "The little . . . pet simply had an outburst."
"I am nobody's pet," Bethania spat through her teeth.
Reynaldo sighed. "I believe no word from your mouth," he said toward Roberto. "And I told you to be quiet. Go sit in my seat."
He released her arm and Bethania did as she was told. She noticed most of the men rose slightly and readjusted their seats when she sat down. Seated again, she turned her gaze toward Roberto, whom Reynaldo had left behind, and was glaring at her smugly."

No comments:

Post a Comment