Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Shadows Disinterred: Day 7

Word Count: 42,005

Summary of Events:
Dallas found a town in the area where all the victims had disappeared that had a French name and wondered if it was the place he was looking for, so he looked into it. He got called back by one of the victims' sisters on behalf of their parents who adamantly refused to give Dallas information because they were upset at the officer who'd investigated the case originally. Dallas looked into him and discovered that he was now working at the City of Swift Current's detachment, and so Dallas decided to go ask him about the matter and was greeted with incredible, disappointing unkindness. Dallas then met the newspaper receptionist for their date.

Excerpt of the Day:
""The only thing I agree with you on is that my mother is a –," Dallas growled. "But I am not coming in here and condemning you as a young person who has no regard for seniors, I'm just about thirty years old, not to mention I respect my elders, and I can give you the testimony of a woman I didn't know until about a week ago to prove it, alongside of my grandparents. I am coming in here and condemning you as an RCMP officer. I don't know what marks you passed with from the Academy, but I am renowned as one of their highest-marking and most honoured students, and I am appalled and reviled at the fact that one of my fellow officers does not take such pride in waring the RCMP badge as he ought to. We aren't just any old police force. We are the RCMP. We are known worldwide better than any other police force aside from probably only Scotland Yard. We are known for always getting our man; but we can't always get our man if we're turning people off, or not treating cases with the seriousness they need to be treated with. If someone says their loved one is behaving abnormally we should believe them, because we don't know their loved one like they do, we don't know what is normal and abnormal about their loved one without them telling us! Now we have reason to believe the most prolific pair of yet to be apprehended serial killers is on the loose and we may well have just lost out on vital information as to their location because of your incompetence!"
"Well how was I supposed to know it was serious!?" Hackett demanded.
"You weren't supposed to know," Dallas returned. "You were supposed to treat it with seriousness because it was a missing person, and do your utmost to find him and possibly have found out that it was more serious than it seemed to you initially. You could well have saved some twenty lives and counting if you would've investigated more competently! But now you've lost out on accolades, honours, and promotions you could've received because you went and – the case!"
Hackett's face went pale and he looked at Dallas with wide eyes. Dallas kept his grip firm on Hackett's shirt and his face serious. He'd played the right card finally. Hopefully Hackett would explain himself now.
As Dallas waited for Hackett to move, Hackett's face changed to a vicious determination from its appall. Hackett reached up and grabbed Dallas' ear again.
"Get me those case files kid, and I'll show you how it's done," Hackett growled.
"No," Dallas replied. "It's my case, the City of Swift Current has no jurisdiction over any fragment of the case; the Rural Municipality of Swift Current has jurisdiction due to one of the victims being from Dunelm, and due to fortuitous circumstance, we got to the case first.""

No comments:

Post a Comment