Thursday, September 03, 2015

Shadows Disinterred: Day 3

Word Count: 18,035

Summary of Events:
Dallas and Rod the lab tech hypothesized that the shovel was used in part of the potential torture of the victims. Dallas then discussed his case with one of his closely acquainted colleagues who was interested by the fact that there is a town called Sleepy Hollow in Saskatchewan. A young officer named Amy — who was highly enamoured with Dallas — went to lunch with him and he talked about the case with her. Dallas then ended up being called by the investigating officer of one of the cases Dallas had gotten a file for, being as the case was still open and the officer was wondering what Dallas had learned.

Excerpt of the Day:
""The fact that I don't know where the men disappeared to, and the fact that I've yet to find an investigating officer ask the people they're interviewing for a description of the advertisement," Dallas replied. "If I had one, or both, of those things I could move in and make an arrest already. But no one seems to know or remember the exact place the missing men went, and I have no description or physical copy of the advertisement."
"Have you called up any of the families or anything?" Amy asked.
"Not yet, I'm hoping to find what I'm looking for in one of the files; I don't necessarily want to bother the families," Dallas replied. "I don't want to get their hopes up that their loved one might be found alive or something."
"Why not?" Amy asked.
"Because I don't think that'll be the case," Dallas replied, raising his arms off the table when the waitress arrived with their food. He nodded thanks for the food before the waitress left.
"What would lead you to believe that?" Amy asked once the waitress had gone back behind the lunch counter.
"Well, none of them have been seen or heard from again," Dallas replied. "Not to mention what got me onto the case was bloodstained with the blood of eight of them. If there's bloodshed going on I'm pretty sure they're not around anymore."
"Then why don't you notify the families of as much?" Amy asked.
"Because I don't have any physical evidence to confirm it," Dallas replied. "And besides, I mean, some of these men disappeared before I was even born, I'm sure their families have resigned themselves to accepting that their loved one is likely dead. Us telling them what they're pretty sure is the case isn't going to mean anything to them unless we can present them with a body, and until we can, there's no point in bothering them."
"I guess that's true," Amy said.
Dallas nodded as he chewed a bite of his sandwich.
"So you need the location to find the bodies," Amy said. "But why do you need the ad?"
"Well, if I can't find the location, if I find the ad, it might give me the location, or I can find out who placed it and find the location from there and then get a warrant, hunt through everything, and find the bodies," Dallas replied.
"You really know what you're doing," Amy said, admiration in her voice and gaze.
"If I didn't then why are the taxpayers wasting their money paying me?" Dallas asked.
Amy was silent. Dallas ate some of the fries off of his plate, wishing he could get a lead on the location sooner versus later so he could get in there and close this off. He'd already been investigating the case for a month and yet he still had nothing other than a growing list of victims, and a shovel."

No comments:

Post a Comment