Friday, July 17, 2015

Transformation Beginning: Day 14

Word Count: 84,010

Summary of Events:
Joseph watched Chalmers as he played and thought about the fact that Charles and Chalmers hadn't really had much for notable interaction with each other for awhile. Chalmers went to the diner and talked with Alizabeth about her different options for secondary education. Alizabeth felt refreshed about making a decision the next morning. Chalmers finished off a private workout and then received an apology from Charles, who asked Chalmers to forgive him as well . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
"I think I can," Chalmers replied. "I've wanted an apology all season, and I can see how this would be humiliating for you, so I should; but it's kind of hard too, I mean, you're the first person that hurt me who's actually come and asked me to make it right, and I don't really know what to do with it."
"I wouldn't blame you if you didn't," Charles said.
"I owe it to you," Chalmers said. "You've been through a lot of difficulty making this decision, and you've lowered yourself pretty far, I shouldn't hold a grudge against you; it wouldn't be right. My Grandpa wouldn't want me to do that, and neither would Grandma."
"It's your decision," Charles said.
"I'm not going to say I will now," Chalmers replied. "But I'll say that I'll do what I can. Hopefully I can get to the point of actually saying it to you outright."
Charles nodded. "Do you want to move up onto the top line? Or do you want to stay with Taylor-Kirby and Awberry?"
"I don't know," Chalmers replied. "Which do you think I'll do better on?"
"I don't think it matters which of the three lines you play on, you'll do well and have an impact, you've done well with all of them," Charles said. "We have a surprising depth, and it's probably only due to my willful mismanagement of your playing time that we aren't tearing up the league right now."
Chalmers shrugged, taking up his coat.
"Technically, to put you on the top line would probably overload it, though," Charles said. "If a team can effectively shut down the top line with you on it then they'll probably stifle the bulk of our scoring. If you're on the third line then they have to work harder."
Chalmers nodded, sliding his coat on.
"And you've really revealed some inspiring potential in Taylor-Kirby and Awberry," Charles added. "I like keeping an eye out for mentions of my players in the media world, and a lot of people are taking notice of them because of their chemistry with you; people like The Hockey News are talking about how the two of them might well be first round draft picks in a couple of years when they're eligible."
Chalmers nodded again.
"I think working with you has done a lot more good for them than having had them play with Perrot all season would've done," Charles said. "With you on the third line I feel more like I have a top lone, two second lines, and a fifth line."
"Otherwise you'd have one through three and five?" Chalmers asked.
"Yeah, probably," Charles said.
"I could stay on the third line then," Chalmers said. "Might as well not mess with what's working.""

No comments:

Post a Comment