Monday, February 16, 2015

Glimpsed: Day 5

Word Count: 30,013

Summary of Events:
Chapter 9:
Charlotte and Deborah went shopping for Deborah's wedding dress fabric and then nearly got lost in a sudden blizzard, but Elisha brought him into his shop to wait out the storm. Samuel then tried to inspire Robert to be motivated to quit drinking.
Chapter 10:
Charlotte was subjected to visiting with Elisha — and then going after-hours fabric shopping for fabric because he insisted upon her having a new dress for Deborah's wedding. Samuel and Robert went hunting and Robert kept trying to shoot owls.

Excerpt of the Day:
"Quietly Samuel crawled up the mountainside, slowly making his way toward the mountain sheep that was grazing at something it had found. Once he was sure he'd be in good range Samuel laid down and got his gun into position.
Two quick shots rang out and the sheep startled and ran. Samuel fired, but missed — but he wasn't surprised. Sighing, he got to his feet and walked toward where he saw Robert's feet. Robert was reloading his gun.
"Why did you fire?" Samuel asked.
"Because there was a bird," Robert replied. "I missed it."
Samuel sighed. "Have you forgotten how to hunt?"
"I wanted the bird," Robert said.
"We're looking for big game, like sheep," Samuel said. "We want something that will last for more than a meal."
"It was a big bird," Robert said. "I could've roasted it and been satisfied on half of it and then eaten the other half tomorrow."
"What about me?" Samuel asked. "And what about Ella and Verbena?"
"You can hunt your own food," Robert replied.
"Don't you want something that would feed you for a week?" Samuel asked.
"If I could net ten of those birds I'd be good for a month," Robert replied.
"You'd be good for twenty days," Samuel said.
"Yeah, a month," Robert said.
Samuel sighed. "Look for something bigger than a bird," he said.
"I don't want to," Robert said.
"Fine," Samuel sighed. At least Robert wanted to hunt now.
He went back over to where he had been. No sheep. Carefully he crept forward, making sure not to use a steady stride. He used an unrhythmic stride so that the wildlife wouldn't know that a human was walking among them.
Two more shots rang out and Samuel reeled back, a stinging pain biting across his cheek. Samuel put his hand to his cheek and pulled it away. Blood marked his forefinger. He swore.
Getting to his feet, Samuel went back over to Robert.
"Are you trying to take of my head!?" Samuel exclaimed.
Robert startled and looked at Samuel. "I didn't do anything!" he protested.
"I think you most certainly did!" Samuel snapped, then took a deep breath and let it out. "You do see my face is bleeding, right?"
"Yeah," Robert replied.
"It's bleeding because of the fact that you're bullet grazed me," Samuel replied. "If my face would have been a bit further forward you could well have embedded he bullet into my skull. A bit more forward than that and I would've been dead. You would then have been hung a murderer and your daughters would've been left orphans."
"It was probably just a tree branch nicked you," Robert said.
"I can assure you it was no tree branch," Samuel growled.
"This is why I like to hunt alone," Robert said. "Everyone I hunt with is such a grouch."
Samuel wondered if Robert hand't thought about why that might be the case, but decided there was really no sense in worrying about it. He wouldn't be able to get Robert to understand anyways."

No comments:

Post a Comment