Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Glimpsed: Day 1

Word Count: 6,035

Summary of Events:
Chapter 1:
Samuel received a letter from a Mrs. Guest of Georgetown, Colorado which puzzled him, but he decided to reply to the letter to see if he could find out why she was writing him. Charlotte, her mother, and her sisters Deborah and Jane looked at wedding dress ideas.
Chapter 2:
Samuel went to visit the pastor — as it was his wife who Mrs. Guest said she'd gotten his name from — and ended up having coffee with him and his wife and being preached at, but leaving the pastor in utter confusion when he said that the lake of fire sounded a lot like his life and showed no fear of it.

Excerpt of the Day:
""But does it necessarily have to be all based off of one design?" Jane asked.
"It doesn't have to be," their mother replied.
"Then it should be asked: what are the different features you want to have on you dress?" Jane said. "As opposed to: which dress do you want?"
Deborah surveyed all of the dresses contemplatively and then looked toward Jane.
"You know, I am glad you said that. It makes the decision easier almost, I think."
Jane smiled sweetly. "I was thinking about that because I can't say that there's one dress that I myself like in its entirety."
"And honestly," Deborah said. "I can't either. There are so many beautiful features on other dresses that I think would be positively magnificent additions to other dresses. I think I would like to make my dress a combination of all of the dresses I like. But now how can that be done?"
All four of the m looked down at the pages scattered about the floor. Charlotte shifted her jaw and continued looking at them.
"You know," Charlotte said. "I think that it is dependent upon what it is that you like from each of them."
"Yes, I guess that is true," Deborah said.
"And how to draw them?" Jane asked. "These drawings are magnificent, and I don't know that any of us are half the artists of the people who drew these dresses."
"How about we cut out the different pieces that you like and layer them together to decide?" Charlotte asked. "And once we've a dress that you love and looks absolutely gorgeous then we'll paste all of the paper together and have the design."
Deborah's face lit up even brighter and she looked toward Charlotte. "You are so very magnificent at coming up with ideas my dearest Charlotte!" she exclaimed. "That is an excellent idea!"
"That, however, calls for a table," their mother said.
"I'll take only the dresses that have things I like," Deborah said. "The rest of these can be put away for other uses."
Charlotte waited as Deborah collected up all of the pages with dresses she liked and then Charlotte cleaned up the rest of them. She had to admit to herself that Deborah had picked all of the quite beautiful dresses. The rest of these weren't striking her fancy either — but of course she had time, Elisha was still just courting her, and he hadn't even suggested proposal yet.
By the time Elisha did propose to her there would probably be a lot more beautiful dress designs to choose from. Charlotte set the rejected dresses onto a side table and into the kitchen where Deborah was hard at work cutting out the pieces she liked from the various dresses."

No comments:

Post a Comment