Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Newcomer: Day 9

Word Count: 54,064

Summary of Events:
Miķelis decided to tell the officer who'd inspected him and Mārtiņš that he'd tried to tell Mārtiņš to be ready, but the officer assured Miķelis that most new arrivals failed their first few inspections before getting the hang of things. That evening, Miķelis apologised to Mārtiņš for having embarrassed him on Saturday, but Mārtiņš wasn't receptive of the apology. The following day, Kristiāns informed Miķelis that he ought to be out of the infirmary in a day or two, only to surprise Miķelis by returning that very evening — not that he'd expected to be released so quickly either — which they spent talking to each other both about Mārtiņš and other topics…

Excerpt of the Day:

“But even though there are some days where I’m as good as you, I’m not consistent, you are,” Kristiāns replied.

“I think it’ll come,” Miķelis replied. “By the end of our year here for sure.”

“You flatter me with your confidence in my abilities,” Kristiāns said.

“Considering all the flattery I’m receiving I ought to spread it around,” Miķelis replied.

“Really?” Kristiāns asked. “I’ve noticed that some of the officers seem suspicious of your abilities.”

“Those who aren’t are never shy with their compliments,” Miķelis replied. “It’s somewhat embarrassing.”

“You weren’t anything significant at home?” Kristiāns asked.

“No, I was considered the best shot in Elejādirozen, and one of the best horsemen, especially of my age,” Miķelis replied. “But even though people felt I was the best, they didn’t necessarily bring it up every time they saw me. Some of these officers won’t stop talking about me the entire time I’m with them.”

“Considering some of what they get to work with,” Kristiāns said. “Maybe I’m not too surprised.”

“They don’t have to mention it every time,” Miķelis said. “Besides, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s only helping to sow and grow seeds of resentment in the others because they don’t get complimented or anything like that. I don’t want the others to feel inferior just because I’m as talented as I am.”

“That is a good point,” Kristiāns said. “Why don’t you mention it to them?”

“I never end up finding an opportunity,” Miķelis replied.

“Well, what about if you were to tell someone like the Commandant?” Kristiāns asked. “He could then mention it to all of the officers and even keep watch to ensure that they do ease off on praising you and give praise where praise is do to others as well. It would probably accomplish the ends faster.”

“You’re forgetting that the Commandant is the Prince, the Crown Prince,” Miķelis said.

“Well, I mean, you could even speak to the regular Commandant,” Kristiāns replied. “It isn’t as if he’s left.”

“I’m not entirely sure when I’d find the time,” Miķelis said.

“What about all this evening?” Kristiāns asked.

“He probably wants to relax as much as I do,” Miķelis replied.

“Who says it would be a tense discussion?” Kristiāns asked. “It might not even take all that long, really.”

“Well, maybe I’ll see about it tomorrow,” Miķelis replied.

“You don’t look very sure, though,” Kristiāns said.

“I don’t know if I feel like it’s important enough,” Miķelis replied.

“But you’re concerned about the others coming to resent you because you get all the praise,” Kristiāns said. “Surely you don’t want any more incidents added to your disciplinary record, which could happen if the resentment builds, as you might not be able to prove yourself innocent of all of them.”

Miķelis nodded. Kristiāns’ point was a valid one. “Regardless, I won’t do it today. It’s time we get to bed.”


Pronunciation:

Elejādirozen: ellehyahdihrohzehn

No comments:

Post a Comment