Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Newcomer: Day 14

Word Count: 84,013

Summary of Events:
Miķelis was required to move to Prince Zigmārs' tent as a result of his promotion, so he went to his tent to get his things, which also required him to inform Kristiāns, Mārtiņš, and Genādijs of his promotion, which Kristiāns was a bit sad about — although he was glad Miķelis wasn't leaving the camp — while Mārtiņš and Genādijs seemed prevailingly indifferent. The following morning Miķelis rose early to accompany Prince Zigmārs and two others to a shrine in the woods to pray before they went to breakfast, where Miķelis was dismissed to dine with his friends…

Excerpt of the Day:

He didn’t really know which way to go, but then he saw Kristiāns and Dzidris in the line, just inside the tent door, Kristiāns looked to be pointing him out to Dzidris. He hurried toward them, not looking aside to the rest of the line, sure that others were likely to be staring and glaring at him.

“Come to say hello?” Kristiāns asked.

“Actually, hi– ah, um, I– I’m joining you,” Miķelis stammered.

“You’re allowed?” Dzidris asked.

“Yes,” Miķelis replied. “I don’t have to report back until suppertime.”

“So is Esquire of the Body a made-up rank then?” Dzidris asked.

“No,” Miķelis replied. “But I’m one of two, so I’m being spared to continue my military training, but I am learning a bit how to be one.”

“What does it, exactly, require?” Kristiāns asked.

“Basically what I did with you while you were recovering,” Miķelis replied. “That’s what I’ve seen so far.”

“Oh,” Kristiāns said. “So you were training for it without even realising it.”

“Maybe that’s why he picked me to be one,” Miķelis said.

“I’m sure he saw you helping me around,” Kristiāns agreed.

He yawned, ending it with a groan and rubbed his eyes.

Miķelis looked at Kristiāns and noticed that he looked weary, his eyes half-closed with shadows beneath them, his shoulders sagging. Miķelis considered asking, but he decided to wait, as they’d reached the table already.

Because of Kristiāns’ evident weariness, Miķelis fell in behind him, letting Dzidris lead the way through the line to get their food and choose a place for them to sit, where Miķelis pulled out a chair for Kristiāns, who sat down heavily and wearily.

“You seem tired,” Miķelis said.

“I am,” Kristiāns replied, moving his chair close to the table.

“Why?” Miķelis asked.

“Mārtiņš and Dāvids hadn’t run out of things to talk about when they were separated for curfew, so when they were put back together they talked for hours, even though the lantern was put out,” Kristiāns replied. “I had a horrid time trying to get to sleep, much less to stay there, and then I had to fight to wake up with the bugle, and I had to wake everyone else up to be ready. I was barely passable. Everybody else failed.”

“Oh,” Miķelis said. “I’m sorry.”

“It isn’t your fault,” Kristiāns replied. “Protocol is protocol.”

“But it wasn’t protocol,” Miķelis replied.

“What wasn’t?” Dzidris asked.

“Dāvids moving,” Miķelis replied. “Protocol is vacated beds are occupied by the next new arrivals, otherwise we’d probably be moving almost constantly as older trainees are commissioned and such.”

“So then why was he moved?” Kristiāns asked.

“Because I asked Prince Zigmārs if it could be done so that they don’t accumulate a list of curfew violations,” Miķelis replied.

“Oh,” Kristiāns said. “Well they were sure glad about it.”

Dzidris nodded.

“I wish them to stay glad too,” Miķelis said.

“What do you mean?” Dzidris asked.

“Don’t tell them that I asked for them to be reunited,” Miķelis replied. “I wouldn’t be surprised if it would sorely displease them to know they’re only together because I asked for them to be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment