Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Disquieting: Day 8

Word Count: 48,009

Summary of Events:
Matthew joined Kirk's family at their church on Sunday, where he was glad to see Mr. Millard wasn't present, as he thought the pastor had preached a very good sermon and was in no way needing to be replaced. Following the service, however, Matthew became alarmed when Azriel disappeared, as Azriel wasn't one to go wandering off. It was discovered — when he found a boy who looked similar to Azriel — that Azriel had been taken by another woman who'd believed Azriel to be her nephew, who was, in fact, the boy Matthew had ended up finding. As a result, Matthew, Kirk, and the pastor went to the woman's home to switch the boys back…

Excerpt of the Day:

Almost immediately a woman bustled into the corridor whom Matthew recognised as being familiar from the church, as he recalled internally musing that she reminded him of Aunt Jarvinia.

“You’ve come at a rather bad time Reverend,” she said. “I’m in the midst of making lunch and Alois is being particularly disagreeable today.”

“Ms. Fraser, you do not have Alois,” Rev. MacCallum said.

“I know my own nephew,” Ms. Fraser replied. “Out of the dozens of brown-haired children in the congregation he’s the only one with green eyes.”

“No he isn’t,” Rev. MacCallum replied. “At least, not for the time being.”

“Whatever do you mean Reverend?” Ms. Fraser demanded.

“Kirk Galbraith’s cousin is visiting from Indiana, and he happens to have a son who has brown hair and green eyes,” Rev. MacCallum replied.

“And clearly you have him right here,” Ms. Fraser said.

“This is Alois,” Rev. MacCallum said. “He was found in his usual hiding spot when… I didn’t get your name.”

“I’m terribly sorry,” Matthew replied. “Matthew Heath.”

“When Mr. Heath was looking for his son,” Rev. MacCallum finished. “By which time you’d already departed with his son, thinking him to be Alois.”

“Nonsense, I know my own nephew to see him,” Ms. Fraser said. “You needn’t have come all this way for nothing.”

“Ms. Fraser,” Matthew said sternly. “I, as a father, know my son better than you, as an aunt, would know your nephew, and I knew the moment I looked upon this boy that he wasn’t my son, further, I am also keenly aware that the crying I am hearing is being made by the voice of my son, whom I would kindly like back, seeing as he isn’t exactly yours to take from me.”

“What is your name, boy?” Ms. Frasier asked her nephew.

Little Alois lowered his head and said nothing.

“How about I prove it?” Matthew asked.

“How?” Ms. Fraser asked.

“Azriel!” Matthew called loudly. “Come here Azriel!”

Immediately a familiar face appeared in the same doorway from which Ms. Fraser had emerged. Rev. MacCallum stepped aside so Matthew could step forward. 

Azriel’s face lit up immediately and he ran to Matthew who, although prepared for impact, nevertheless nearly went over backwards when Azriel ran into his chest, wrapping his little arms in a chokehold around Matthew’s neck.

Matthew looked up at Ms. Fraser. “Is that proof enough for you?”

He could see her skin turning red in blotches about her neck.

Ms. Fraser didn’t answer, simply seizing Alois’ free hand and dragging him toward the kitchen without a word.

“Azriel, can you let go of me please?” Matthew asked. “I can’t breathe, and you need to put your coat on anyways.”

He could tell Azriel was reluctant to do so, but nevertheless obeyed and slid his arms easily into his coat. Matthew then took Azriel up into his arms and looked at Rev. MacCallum and Kirk, both of whom looked as awkward as Matthew felt about the situation.

With no one in the entry other than them, however, Kirk opened the door and they exited the house, descending the stairs and heading for the sidewalk.


Pronunciation:

Galbraith: gollbrayth

No comments:

Post a Comment