Friday, January 14, 2022

Disquieting: Day 11

Word Count: 66,060

Summary of Events:
Matthew told Kirk and Jamesina the names of Mr. Millard's dinner guests upon his return from dinner, but neither of them knew which church the people attended, even though they were familiar with the names, and Matthew still didn't feel like he really knew why Mr. Millard and his dinner guests wanted to be rid of their pastor either, so over the course of the following day he strove to ask Mr. Millard questions to clarify things, which finally revealed to him part of the church's name — but unfortunately not the denomination part — so, as he and Kirk started for Kirk's house at the end of the workday, he told Kirk…

Except of the Day:

“So, did you learn anything more from Shattuck today?” Kirk asked as they carried on to the sidewalk.

“I did,” Matthew replied.

“What was it?” Kirk asked.

“He attends the church called St. John’s,” Matthew replied.

“Oh,” Kirk said. “That’s the Episcopalian church.”

“I hoped I would get that sort of an answer out of you,” Matthew replied.

“That’s not the church I would’ve guessed,” Kirk said.

“Oh,” Matthew said. “Why not?”

“Well, if I recall who their pastor is correctly, he’s not in any sort of ill health or even especially old,” Kirk replied. “I would’ve thought he was from the Methodist church because their pastor is quite old — I mean, at least, if you go by his hair colour, which is far more what I would consider a white than a grey.”

“I don’t think anything about their pastor’s physical condition is a part of the group’s desire to see him removed,” Matthew said.

“But you wouldn’t be able to replace him,” Kirk said.

“No, I wouldn’t,” Matthew replied. “I know nothing about Episcopalian liturgy, and I do believe I’d have to be appointed by a bishop, as I know they have bishops, and I’m quite sure assigning pastors is part of their role.”

“So, I guess that’s the end of it,” Kirk said.

“End of what?” Matthew asked.

“Any discussions between you and Shattuck about your getting back into a pulpit,” Kirk replied.

“Well, I have to tell him, now that I know, that I wouldn’t be able to fulfill the position he seeks filled,” Matthew replied. “Seeing as I’m not ordained by the proper people, nor do I know how they conduct their worship, not to mention I now know what matters of secondary importance we are inclined to disagree on.”
“Do that tomorrow and then it’s pretty much all settled, isn’t it?” Kirk asked.

“I’m not sure,” Matthew replied.

“Why?” Kirk asked.

“I was able to get Mr. Millard to tell me what it is he and the people I met last night dislike about their pastor,” Matthew replied. “And, well, it troubled me.”
“Is their pastor a heretic?” Kirk asked.

“No,” Matthew replied. “He has his opinions, and he has maybe somewhat wrongfully expressed them from the pulpit, considering they are his opinions and don’t really have much, if any, support within the Scriptures.”

“Such as?” Kirk asked.

“He believes in total temperance, not just a responsible consumption of strong drink,” Matthew replied. “As much as I’m not interested in consuming much, if any, liquor, I don’t believe I can tell others that it is sinful to consume more than I do. Inebriation could be considered sinful, but I haven’t actually studied the topic thoroughly, so I won’t say definitively until I have, but I don’t believe that the sort of responsible consumption I saw last night should be in any way frowned upon, and it seems their pastor does.”


Pronunciation:

Episcopalian: ehpihskuhpayleeahn

No comments:

Post a Comment