Friday, May 07, 2021

Descent into Ruin: Day 5

Word Count: 30,022

Summary of Events:
Chalmers watched from the bench as the Wheat Kings played against the Moose Jaw Warriors, feeling hurt when the left-winger who'd replaced him on the top line scored a goal, as he felt that goal should have been his, because he should've been on the top line. Seeking advice, Chalmers called his former coach, Matt, who, although sympathetic and willing to help, nevertheless struck Chalmers as not being as sympathetic or willing to help as he wanted Matt to be . . .

Excerpt of the Day:

“Chalmers, you’re so distracted,” Matt said. “Just focus. Focus on playing your game, focus on doing your best, focus on making the necessary improvements. This is going to do you good. You’re going to be a better NHLer because of it. Focus on that.”

“I don’t know how,” Chalmers said.

“Don’t give me that,” Matt said. “You know how to focus. Why don’t you want to?”

“I do!” Chalmers snapped.

“Then do it,” Matt said. “I shouldn’t have to tell you how. You already know. I know you do.”

“But I don’t understand what he wants!” Chalmers cried.

“That’s not what you need to do,” Matt said firmly. “You need to focus on doing your thing, playing your game. He’s gotten into your head. I don’t know how, I don’t know why, but you need to get him out of your head. Yes he’s the head coach, but you’re taking that too far, like I said, you’re overthinking. Stop fussing about him. Focus on doing your part to make the team better. That’s what you’re supposed to be doing. Do it. I bet he even would like it if you did that.”

“But how?” Chalmers asked.

“The exact same way you’ve done it before,” Matt replied firmly. “You’ve never fussed about it before, you’ve never worried about it before, it’s come naturally to you. Let it do it again. If necessary, go skate somewhere on your own and clear your head.”

“I was meeting one-on-one with Coach Seaborn, but Coach Leslie said that wasn’t allowed because it was ‘wearing me out’ before the main practises,” Chalmers replied. “I wish Coach Seaborn were in charge. I like him better. He appreciates what I have to offer.”

“I’m glad there’s somebody you like,” Matt said.

“I like everybody except Coach Leslie,” Chalmers replied. “He’s the problem. Everybody else is fine. Everybody. He’s the one who needs to go.”

“Is that a unified consensus?” Matt asked.

“No,” Chalmers replied. “There’s guys on the team that actually like him.”

“You’re against him,” Matt replied. “That’s not good.”

“Why?” Chalmers asked.

“He’s your coach,” Matt replied. “You guys are on the same team. You’re not supposed to be at loggerheads.”

“I know,” Chalmers said. “And I can’t do anything about it.”

“Yes you can Chalmers,” Matt said. “And you know it.”

“No, I can’t,” Chalmers replied. “You’re not even listening to me!”

“Chalmers,” Matt said firmly.

“No!” Chalmers snapped. “Leave me alone!”

He snatched his cellphone away from his head, ended the call, and slammed his cellphone down onto his bed before throwing himself down across the comforter and screaming into the cotton and polyester beneath him. Not even Matt seemed to comprehend what was going on.

Hearing his cellphone ring, Chalmers looked at it. It was Matt. He declined the call and held the power button before completely powering off his cellphone. If Matt wasn’t going to offer him any help, then he didn’t want to talk to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment