Thursday, May 06, 2021

Descent into Ruin: Day 4

Word Count: 24,089

Summary of Events:
Chalmers called his grandma in an effort to get his mind off his growing frustrations, only to have them come rushing back at him as soon as the call was over. The first game of the regular season arrived, and Chalmers found himself feeling quite hurt to not be on the top line, nor was he made to feel any better when he got called for a penalty when he'd just been trying to block a pass, and the opposing team succeeded in scoring almost immediately on the man advantage. During the following week Chalmers was enjoying some autumn sun when his girlfriend came out to chat with him about hockey, which led to conversation about Coach Leslie, and what Chalmers saw as his stubborn refusal to be pleased about anything . . .

Excerpt of the Day:

“I wouldn’t call him grumpy,” Tanya said.

“Why not?” Chalmers demanded.

“He just looks serious, determined,” Tanya replied. “He’s got a goal, and he’s driven to see the team accomplish it.”

“It’d be nice if he told us what the goal was,” Chalmers muttered.

“It’s probably the same goal you have,” Tanya replied.

“I’ve told you, my goal is to be drafted well, how does he think screwing me over is going to help me be drafted well?” Chalmers demanded profanely. “That’s my goal this season, is to make sure I impress the scouts and get drafted. He’s not helping that at all.”

“Well, don’t you have the goal of making the playoffs?” Tanya asked.

“Yeah,” Chalmers replied. “But that’s not really my main goal.”

“Well, that was the goal I was thinking of,” Tanya said, sounding upset.

“O and two is a great start to get into the playoffs,” Chalmers said with sarcastic enthusiasm.

“You guys did really good in the preseason,” Tanya said.

“Too bad it didn’t count then,” Chalmers said. “We’d actually have points on the season.”

“I’m sure you guys aren’t going to have an O and sixty eight season,” Tanya said.

“No we could get, you know, O, two, thirty three, and thirty three, which would give us sixty six points, which might even get us into the playoffs unless Swift Current is the only team that does worse than us,” Chalmers replied.

“Good grief!” Tanya exclaimed, slapping the armrest of the Adirondack chair she was sitting in. “Why are you being so negative? You’re calling Coach Leslie a grouch! You’re a grouch! Why?”

“Why do you think?” Chalmers asked.

“I don’t know!” Tanya exclaimed. “Here I’m trying to pick you up out of the dumps and you’re throwing it at me! Whatever reason you have for being upset is not obvious.”

“I’ve been repeating it over and over as we’ve been sitting here talking!” Chalmers exclaimed.

“I haven’t heard any repetitive theme other than that everything is horrible and, like, there’s no chance it’ll ever get better,” Tanya replied.

“Well, then you obviously weren’t listening!” Chalmers snapped.

“It’s kind of hard to want to listen to somebody gripe all the time!” Tanya snapped back. “Like, seriously! Are you going to actually tell me what the problem is or what?”

“I didn’t think you were this dense,” Chalmers muttered.

“Dense!” Tanya exclaimed. “I’m not dense! Why do you have to attack me?”

“I’m not attacking you!” Chalmers retorted.

“Yes you are!” Tanya screamed, tears appearing in her eyes almost as fast as a room got bright when its light was turned on. “You’re so selfish!”

Chalmers winced at the pain as she threw her can at him before turning and running to the back door.

Part of him wanted to call after her and clear things up, but a larger part of him was sorely indignant to think that Tanya had completely missed when he’d told her his problem: Coach Leslie was seemingly bent to ruin his season and he didn’t know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment