Thursday, April 08, 2021

Unexpected: Day 6

Word Count: 42,134

Summary of Events:
At the post-lecture reception in Belfast Hilton and Meinwen were prevented from speaking to Dr. Stiles by his bodyguard, who revealed that he'd recognised them since Cardiff and believed they were the people who meant to kill Dr. Stiles, and that he'd called the police; they fled and were shot at, with Hilton getting lightly grazed, returning to Dublin, where Hilton told Meinwen that he feared the police in Northern Ireland wouldn't believe them when she asked him why he'd initiated their flight. The following morning they were both troubled by the accuracy of police sketches, publicised with their descriptions on the news, reporting them as Dr. Stiles' threateners; Hilton feared they'd both have to leave Dublin — and suggested Dr. Stiles' next stop of Brussels as a destination — expressed fear that if they went to the police they'd be arrested and locked up as lunatics . . .

Excerpt of the Day:

“Until the actual threateners kill him,” Meinwen said. “Surely then they’ll believe us.”
“They’d have no reason to believe that we knew of the actual killers,” Hilton replied.

“What do you mean?” Meinwen asked.

“Because of the unbelievability of the story they would have no reason to believe that what we’re saying is related to Dr. Stiles’ eventual death,” Hilton replied. “We’d possibly be kept locked up forever, and everyone would think it a coincidence that a couple of mental kids and whoever the actual people are tried — successfully and not — to threaten the life of Dr. Stiles at the same time.”

“Surely there’s enough proof in our lives before this to convince people of our sanity,” Meinwen said. “I know Grandmum, Trahearn, Karenza, and my aunts, uncles, and cousins would never be persuaded that I’m out of my mind. I don’t even think Mr. Evans or anyone else would believe me to have lost my mind.”

“I certainly hope they wouldn’t,” Hilton said.

“But you don’t have the same confidence in your relations?” Meinwen asked.

“Not the least,” Hilton admitted, shaking his head as he looked at the TV remote.

“And the bit of a spat you had with your aunt on arriving, and even your mum, doesn’t exactly help either?” Meinwen asked.

Hilton shook his head. “Nor does the fact that I was reported by the top man in the Cardiff branch of the company to Grandfather as behaving erratically. Nor does anything.”

“I’m sorry,” Meinwen said quietly.

“You didn’t know,” Hilton said. “It’s not your fault.”

“Surely that doesn’t mean I can’t feel sorry for you,” Meinwen said, sounding closer.

Hilton looked up and saw she was now standing between their beds looking at him with sympathy written all over her.

“As much as I am reasonably confident everyone I know will vouch for my sanity, there is still a bit of fear that they might not,” Meinwen said. “And, considering you shouldn’t have even been involved in this whole scenario at all, I wouldn’t want you to suffer on my account. It wouldn’t be fair.”

“We’re rather more between a rock and a hard place than anyone who’s ever not been in the literal form of that situation,” Hilton said.

“And it’s our own fault,” Meinwen said. “Both of us together.”

Hilton nodded. “So what do we do?”

“I don’t think we approach Dr. Stiles again,” Meinwen replied. “It’s not going to do any good.”

“No,” Hilton whispered, shaking his head.

“But I don’t know if we should really tangle with the people who want to kill Dr. Stiles either,” Meinwen said. “Considering they probably wouldn’t have any qualms about killing us any more than they do Dr. Stiles.”

“We’d need to prove that they’re guilty and we’re innocent,” Hilton said.

“Then I hope they didn’t kill the man who called me,” Meinwen said. “But I fear they probably did. They wouldn’t want the risk of his being able to give up the plan again.”

Hilton nodded. “But I feel like it’s our only chance.”

“Then I guess we might as well go to Brussels,” Meinwen said. “Hopefully they can make their move quickly so we can go home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment