Monday, April 19, 2021

Unexpected: Day 14

Word Count: 96,016

Summary of Events:
When Meinwen woke up later, she used what she could see out the window for signs to try and guess where she was, eventually coming to the conclusion from the checks of her mobile's compass app she'd done on the boat ride and the presence of tildes and other accents on letters, as well as her knowledge of the fact that Habana was the Spanish form of Havana, that she was in Cuba; although they passed through Havana, they only stopped for lunch and fuel before carrying on, leaving Meinwen wondering just where their destination was. Hilton was reclining on the balcony of Kerri's hotel suite, with Kerri resting on top of him, when he was texted by Meinwen with the news . . .

Excerpt of the Day:

We are in Cuba.

I’ll be on my way shortly, Hilton replied.

Immediately a bubble with dots in it appeared, informing him Meinwen was typing a reply. He decided to wait with making Kerri get off of him until he saw what it said.

I’m not sure we’re staying in Cuba, Meinwen replied. We’re booked into a hotel again, and I would think that if we’ve arrived at our destination, even if that destination’s a hotel, we wouldn’t have had to check into it.

Hilton felt surprise at the message. So what do you want me to do then?

I feel like we’ve got to be getting close to where we’re going, and I’ll let you know as soon as I’m sure, she replied. I just wanted to give you an update, in case the destination is here in Cuba, that way I can send you the city name and you’ll know where that is. Besides, I figured I should let you know I’m still okay.

Thank you, Hilton replied. I have been a bit worried. I wish I would’ve hired a car so I could’ve gotten to you here in St Lucia. I’m terribly sorry about that.

“Who are you texting?” Kerri asked, sounding mildly sleepy. “You sound like you’re texting someone.”

“A friend of mine,” Hilton replied, glancing at his screen to see Meinwen was typing what was presumably a longer response. “She’s just arrived here in the Caribbean on holiday and was wondering if, since I’m in the area, I might like to join her.”

Kerri started severely and sat up on his legs, looking at him with a highly offended expression. Hilton was confused.

“What’s the matter?” he asked.

“I thought I was your girlfriend,” Kerri snapped.

Hilton startled. “But we’ve only met three days ago; we’re still effectively strangers to one another.”

Kerri crossed her arms and scowled, clearly unappeased.

“Nevertheless,” Hilton said. “I can assure you that even though this friend of mine is a woman, she’s not really a girlfriend. I’ve never been to bed with her.”

“You’re getting your own room,” Kerri snapped, standing up and looking like she meant to stalk away.

This was unreasonable. 

“Don’t you have any other boyfriends?” Hilton asked.

“Yes,” Kerri replied.

“So then why can’t I have other female friends, who aren’t even girlfriends?” Hilton asked. “If you can have other boyfriends — which implies that these are men with whom you’ve gone to bed.”

“That’s different,” Kerri snapped.

“No it isn’t,” Hilton replied. “If anything, I should be more offended at you for having slept with other men than you should be at me, seeing how I’ve not slept with this friend of mine.”

“It is different!” Kerri screamed. “I’m going to tell Daddy!”

She continued stalking away and Hilton sat up so that he could look around the back of the chair after her, watching her storm through the room to the door into the hotel, which she slammed loudly.

“But it’s the same,” Hilton said, lowering himself back onto the chair bemusedly.

He turned toward his mobile, which had fallen asleep waiting for him, so he woke it up and saw that Meinwen had replied.

I’m glad to know you’re still free; not just so that you can hopefully help me, but for your own sake. If it weren’t for me you wouldn’t be in this mess.

Don’t start that again, Hilton chided. It was my means that got us into the mess.

I don’t have the charge to argue with you, Meinwen replied. It’s officially red now. I’ll save what I have left for when I’m sure we’ve stopped for good.

I’m sorry, Hilton replied, feeling badly. Be careful.

Powering off now, Meinwen replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment