Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Ignition: Day 9

Word Count: 54,044

Summary of Events:
Rebekka very much enjoyed her first night spent in a comfortable bed in a long time, as well as being able to be up and about in brighter daylight, even if the reason why she was staying with Dr. and Mrs. Carrigan wasn't altogether pleasing to her. Keiller, feeling somewhat uneasy about what he'd agreed to, called on the Carrigans, and got frustrated, again, when Rebekka refused to tell him her surname, threatening to charge her with withholding information if she didn't tell him before the judge got to town and indignantly departing . . .

Excerpt of the Day:

“Marshal,” Dr. Carrigan’s voice stopped him and he turned to look.

Dr. Carrigan strode down the hallway to be face-to-face with Keiller.

“That’s rather vindictive,” Dr. Carrigan said.

“I need her name,” Keiller replied. “And you said I have every right to have it, but still she won’t give it to me.”

“You know what she was engaged in, willingly or not, Marshal,” Dr. Carrigan said.

“Why does that matter?” Keiller demanded.

“In my time before coming here to Rock Creek, I myself saw sheriffs, marshals, and all manner of other lawmen enter into such places,” Dr. Carrigan said. “They turned a blind eye to what was illegal for their own personal satisfaction, and few, I’m sure, were ever trusted by girls who wanted to escape as people to go to for help as a result. I know Rock Creek doesn’t have such an abominable facility within its limits, but maybe she doesn’t want to give you that information so you won’t be able to send her back to such a wretched place once she’s released. In her position, she’s seen a lot of corruption of important people, thus it’s entirely reasonable for her not to trust you, and your defensive and vindictive actions aren’t helping either. If you want her to give you her name, show her she can trust you.”

“But how have I shown her she can’t?” Keiller asked. “I’ve been polite, I’ve been nice, I even ate two weeks’ worth of the worst food you could imagine because Amaryllis Wharton wouldn’t cook her decent food, so I gave her my food and ate what was supposed to be hers.”

“Oh,” Dr. Carrigan said. “Mrs. Wharton cooked for you?”

“Cyril’s worse in the kitchen than I am,” Keiller replied. “And considering I was injured, do you really think she wouldn’t have gotten involved?”
“No,” Dr. Carrigan agreed, shaking his head.

“I’m certain she deliberately burned, over-seasoned, and otherwise ruined Rebecca’s food,” Keiller said. “And she didn’t even see Rebecca, all she knew was that our prisoner was female.”

Dr. Carrigan shook his head again. “That is very disappointing to hear.”

“Needless to say,” Keiller said. “I don’t think Rebecca’s holdout is justified. I don’t. I mean, maybe I should’ve let her get into fresh clothes sooner, but is that worth this? I’ll apologise, but still, I mean, she caused me physical harm, why shouldn’t I be a little bit sore at her? And, and even, despite my wounds, I went and got her medical care. I was trying to be nice to her.”

“Well maybe she just didn’t see it,” Dr. Carrigan said. “She’s probably spent a lot of time fearing men in general, she might not see the little things.”

“She trusted you just fine,” Keiller spat.

“It’s not the first time,” Dr. Carrigan replied. “And I think it’s because people can see that I’m different, because I’m a Christian. I’ve even had people who have said in no uncertain terms that they hate Christians trust me despite their antagonism toward my beliefs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment