Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Ignition: Day 14

Word Count: 84,010

Summary of Events:
After having his wounds tended to, Keiller was offered a bed to rest on by Dr. Carrigan because he looked so tired from the fight; he accepted it and ended up sleeping late enough to stay to supper, during which he explained what had caused the fight, including mentioning that his mother had been slandered. Rebekka wondered about Keiller's mother, and was surprised when Mrs. Carrigan said that she'd never actually heard Keiller talk about his family before. The following morning Keiller went to tell the mayor about the fight, and ended up having to admit that a female prisoner had been in his cells, although he lied that she'd been a lost hiker whom he'd released almost right away because she was innocent . . .

Excerpt of the Day:

Old Corny nodded. “I do think you should tell everyone that.”

“I don’t know,” Keiller replied. “They’re all rather worked up right now, might want to let the dust settle a bit.”

“I guess that’s true,” Old Corny admitted.

“Do you think this is going to influence what you do with Cyril?” Keiller asked.

“No,” Old Corny replied. “My decision is already made.”
“Oh,” Keiller said. “What is it?”

“He will be relieved of his position,” Old Corny replied.

“For what reason specifically?” Keiller asked.

“Possessing immoral and indecent images,” Old Corny replied. “As well as a general laziness and related incompetence that has made paying him a wage a waste of this town’s money. But according to the laws I’m the one who has to tell him, and I’d like to rest a couple more days before I do that.”

Keiller nodded, feeling pleased to think that Cyril was soon to become Mr. Gillies instead of Deputy Gillies.

“I am sorry to leave absolutely everything to you now,” Old Corny said. “But it was what had to be done. This town deserves better than he’s ever been inclined to give it. I think he should’ve been relieved of his position long ago.”

“For the most part it shouldn’t be too much more for me to do,” Keiller said. “After all, I was doing most of it on my own as it was while he shot pool at Seegar’s.”

Old Corny nodded.

“So, then I probably would start looking for a new deputy?” Keiller asked.

“If you feel the need,” Old Corny replied. “We can also put out an advertisement in area papers that we’re looking for someone.”

Keiller nodded. “I probably won’t do anything like that right away, but I do feel like it wouldn’t necessarily be the worst of things to do, as you never know what might happen, and there are times when it just might be handy to be able to have someone else around to take care of things if something should call me elsewhere.”

Old Corny nodded. “We can discuss it more later, but I am grateful that you brought this matter to my attention. I’ll make sure that Mr. Bowden is nearby when I make the announcement, as he may be required to ensure that Cyril gets out of town.”

“Hopefully he’ll stay out,” Keiller said. “Instead of causing trouble.”
“Hopefully,” Old Corny agreed. “But I don’t know if we can really be sure.”

Shifting his jaw, Keiller nodded. He, unfortunately, had to agree with Old Corny, it was entirely possible that Cyril wouldn’t want to leave town and stay away, but would want to come back and do whatever he could to execute vengeance onto those who had decided to relieve him of his position altogether. Keiller felt nervous at the thought, as there was really no telling just what Cyril might do to get his revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment