Monday, February 10, 2020

What Nobody Saw: Day 7

Word Count: 42,108

Summary of Events:
Walker went to the Winnipeg Jets' first game of the playoffs, where he ended up having an attractive young woman sit beside him; he struck up a conversation with her during the first intermission and learned that she was the daughter of one of the doctors that worked with Dr. Schissler, as well as learning that she'd actually played — and been the only player to score — against him in the charity game before they got talking about what what they did for work, which caused him to find out she was still wondering what secondary schooling to take . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
“You mean you’re only nineteen?” Walker asked.
“For another few months yes,” she replied. “Right at the beginning of the school year I turn another year older.”
“Oh,” Walker said. “Is the fact that both your parents are doctors making you want or not want to do medicine?”
“Not,” she replied. “I wouldn’t be opposed to being a paramedic or something, but I don’t know.”
“You could be a firefighter,” Walker suggested. “Or, you know, you could go into the trades.”
“I want to do something exciting, but fires make me anxious,” she replied.
“Why?” Walker asked.
“All the things people lose in fires that can never be replaced,” she replied. “My grandparents had a fire before I was born and they lost all kinds of pictures and all their love letters to each other, and it made them really sad that they couldn’t share those things with me and all the rest of us.”
“Oh,” Walker said. “You could be a cop then.”
“I’ve thought about that one the most,” she replied. “Either that or the army.”
“That might be alright,” Walker replied. “I considered the army too, I mean, I possibly could still be a reservist if I wanted, but I don’t know.”
She nodded and they lapsed into silence as the second period began.
“So why did it matter to you that my mom’s name was on the boards at the charity game?” she asked.
“It wasn’t so much her name as one of the other names, actually,” Walker replied.
“Which one?” she asked.
“Um, Dr. Schissler,” Walker replied.
“What about him?” she asked.
“Well, I think I’m currently working on his childhood home,” Walker replied.
“That might be possible,” she replied. “He jokes that Mom and Aunt Tricia chased him through school.”
“Oh,” Walker said.
“Aunt Tricia won the race,” she replied.
“What do you mean?” Walker asked.
“She married him,” she replied.
“So you mean Dr. Schissler’s your uncle?” Walker asked.
“Yep,” she replied.
“Oh,” Walker said. “Wow. I didn’t expect that.”
“Mom and Aunt Tricia are twins,” she added.
“What do you know of Dr. Schissler’s family?” Walker asked.
“Why do you want to know?” she asked.
“Um, I found some stuff I think somebody forgot in the attic, and I was hoping to find out if they might still want it,” Walker replied.
“Well I don’t know anything more than you could probably find out anywhere, Uncle Jonas doesn’t talk about his family, and according to my cousins they don’t get together with the Schissler side,” she replied. “It sounds like he has stuff to do with one of his sisters and maybe one of his brothers, but that’s it, he didn’t even go to his dad’s funeral.”
“Oh,” Walker said, although as it sank in he felt like it wasn’t actually as surprising as it had initially struck him; if Warren Schissler had been controlling Walker could see that causing his children to not be all that crazy about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment