Monday, November 11, 2019

Transformation: Day 7

Word Count: 42,014

Summary of Events:
Taylor went to dinner with his maternal grandparents and got into something of an argument with them about his working at the bank, and actually got them to understand his views on the matter, which was more than he'd gotten from his paternal grandparents. Ian finished up lessons and was asked to meet the woman who'd been visiting him constantly for dinner, but she was distracted and didn't exchange cellphone numbers with him as she'd meant to before leaving; Ian thankfully got her name, and decided to investigate why she might've been distracted . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
Armed with that information, Ian sought out Nancy, whom he found, as he expected, in the Southeast stables’ tack room spraying disinfectant on all the riding helmets as a precaution, should any of the children have possibly had head lice; she was paranoid of head lice, having had some sort of a bad experience with head lice in her childhood or something, Ian had never heard the full explanation or story as to why she always was disinfecting the helmets and fussing about head lice.
“It can’t be meeting time yet,” Nancy said.
“No, it isn’t,” Ian replied.
“Good,” Nancy said, sounding relieved.
“I just wanted to speak to you about two of your students,” Ian replied.
“Oh?” Nancy asked. “Whom?”
“Finn and Piper Norlin,” Ian replied.
“Oh,” Nancy replied, her face going blank.
“Are you alright Nancy?” Ian asked.
“I’d like to know who enrolled them in the Intermediate class and why,” Nancy replied profanely, fixing Ian with a gaze of frozen steel.
Ian’s eyebrows jumped at the fact that she’d used such strong language, Nancy was one of the staff who swore the least, thus to hear her use such a word as she had was extra shocking.
“Well, I can answer that,” Ian replied calmly.
“Then answer,” Nancy replied, her gaze unrelenting.
“Their mother,” Ian replied.
“Surely she knew they weren’t ready for it,” Nancy said, almost snappish.
“I had to tell her what a horse was,” Ian replied. “She wouldn’t know.”
“Are you absolutely serious?” Nancy asked. “You had to tell her what a horse was?”
“Yes,” Ian replied simply. “She had no idea.”
Nancy shook her head, her mouth agape. “You can’t be serious.”
“I am,” Ian replied. “Now that I’ve answered your question, though, might I have one answered for myself?”
“Such as?” Nancy asked.
“What were they like in class?” Ian asked.
“Terrible,” Nancy replied. “They barely had knowledge of the basics, they couldn’t hardly participate in the classes, and they didn’t seem to have the desire to put any effort into getting it right.”
Ian shook his head.
“When they missed out on the performance prizes I gave out today they were more than a little unimpressed,” Nancy said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if their mother complains that it’s unfair of me to hand out prizes, and I could even see Mr. Swan acquiescing if I’m honest.”
Tilting his head sideways, Ian said nothing, although he thought much.
“I like to give even the campers an idea of how they’re doing,” Nancy said. “Is that so bad? It gives them something to strive for, but heaven forbid it make them feel bad.”
“I understand,” Ian replied. “But that’s an argument for another time, I should leave you to your work so people don’t have to come hunting you down when we want to go starting the meeting.”
“Do you know their family?” Nancy asked.
“No,” Ian replied. “I met their mother last week and I get the sinking feeling that she likes me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment