Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Distress: Day 14

Word Count: 84,061

Summary of Events:
Olwyn and Bryn set out to find any and all weaknesses they could within the fortress so as to help it fall quicker once it was attacked, but they were having little success in finding anything. Olwyn also strove to do everything in her power to convince Bryn to leave without trying to kill the Queen so that he didn't run the risk of being killed for real before his people knew that he had revived . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
“You don’t think I could sneak up on her and kill her?” Bryn asked.
“You might be able to,” Olwyn replied. “But I feel like it’s too big of a risk; what if you fail and she’s able to strike you?”
“I am not feeble with my sword,” Bryn replied.
“I don’t believe you to be,” Olwyn replied. “I trust that you are more than competent if you were able to be successful in surviving on the battlefield four years.”
“But you still think that I could fail?” Bryn asked.
“I think it would be wisest if we had aid,” Olwyn replied. “There is a vast horde out there, encamped all about the fortress, they are greater in number, on the whole, than all the fighting men in Wygþmynd.”
“They are?” Bryn asked.
“Yes,” Olwyn replied. “My brother told me so.”
“And yet they do not attack?” Bryn asked.
“They want to be sure that they have the Queen in the fortress, that she might be killed and this whole conflict be brought to an end,” Olwyn replied. “Once they have that confirmation — which I mean to give them — they will attack.”
“Do you think they have ideas where there are weaknesses in the city and fortress’ defences?” Bryn asked.
“I don’t know,” Olwyn replied. “But they are only seeing one side, maybe by giving them information we have accumulated from the other side will help them to determine whether those spots they believed weaknesses are truly weaknesses, or whether they aren’t.”
Bryn was silent.
“Although I think that one’s pretty obvious,” Olwyn said, stopping and looking at the daylight streaming in from where a couple bricks were missing.
“It might be too far away for the encamped men to see though,” Bryn said, hurrying past Olwyn and nearly putting out the candle.
Olwyn stepped closer and watched as Bryn peered out the large hole and even pulled some more bricks away.
“Why do you think they haven’t repaired this?” Bryn asked.
“Maybe they genuinely haven’t noticed it,” Olwyn replied.
“That seems absolutely inconceivable,” Bryn said. “But it is here, and it is real, so long as it goes unnoticed for the rest of the day we should be able to use it to escape.”
“You mean we will escape tonight?” Olwyn asked.
Bryn hesitated, looking at the bricks on the floor, then up at Olwyn. “No, I mean for us to stay at least long enough to examine the walls by night and see how consistently they are guarded, for one should hope that would give us a good idea of how well guarded they are by day.”
“That is wise,” Olwyn said.
He sighed as he got to his feet, not speaking until he was looking her in the eyes. “I am loathe to depart without getting my revenge on the Queen, unless there were some way that we were able to signal to the men of the encampment, but I don’t think they would believe it was us.”

No comments:

Post a Comment