Monday, June 03, 2019

Distress: Day 1

Word Count: 6,002

Summary of Events:
Olwyn got up and had breakfast with her father and grandmother before being apprised of the day's news. While sitting with her grandmother and reading she was summoned by her father to a different room where he told her that she needed to pick a husband, which she contested because all the men of Cynehærdwyn were busy fighting, and she was concerned that if she married a man who wasn't of Cynehærdwyn and ended up inheriting the throne that it could cause the kingdom suffering . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
“Kings marry foreign women all the time,” Father replied. “No one distrusts their children because they are partially foreign, they shan’t with you.”
“But as a woman I am to be subservient to my husband,” Olwyn said. “Thus another people with desire to control Cynehærdwyn could do so through me because I would have to submit to my husband.”
Father sighed. “Nuaða has put too many thoughts into your head with all that teaching he’s given to you. I appreciate the efforts of preparedness you both have made, but the measure is in excess. Besides, I have already chosen a husband for you.”
“Oh,” Olwyn said, feeling as if struck. She knew it was common for a young woman’s husband to be picked for her — especially if her father were a King, Prince, or Chief — but she had hoped that Father would allow her to choose her own husband.
“It would be best if you were wed soon, but I shall allow you time for courting first,” Father said, not seeming to notice the dejectedness Olwyn was sure she was exuding. “And I expect courting to be a regular part of your daily activities from here on, as does Nychtan.”
Olwyn’s gaze shot to meet her father’s. “Why does he matter?”
“I have chosen Nychtan to be your husband,” Father replied.
“I don’t want to marry him Father,” Olwyn said.
“Then whom wish you to marry?” Father asked.
“I don’t know,” Olwyn replied. “Can’t I wait until the war is over?”
“The war has been going on for longer than even I have been alive, there is more of a chance the war will outlast even you than that it will come to an end,” Father replied.
“But we have Wygþmynd surrounded,” Olwyn said. “Surely victory is almost at hand.”
“It is not as near as it seems Olwyn,” Father replied. “Thus waiting for the war to be over could put you beyond childbearing years and then if the undesirable should happen to Nuaða and he perish without an heir who would reign after you?”
“You really think it will be that long Father?” Olwyn asked.
“I do,” Father replied.
“And you really don’t think there’s any better man than Nychtan?” Olwyn asked.
“He is a fine man Olwyn,” Father replied. “Why wouldn’t you want to marry him?”
“Because I would like to choose my own husband,” Olwyn replied.
“You must have someone else in mind if you are opposed to marrying Nychtan,” Father said. “Who is he?”
“I don’t have another,” Olwyn replied. “I just don’t want to marry Nychtan.”
“Well unless you find and name another shortly you are marrying Nychtan,” Father said firmly. “He shall make a fine husband for you, which I am sure you will see as you court him.”
Olwyn nearly shuddered at the thought, but managed to keep herself from doing so.
“Is that all Father?” she asked.
“That is all,” Father replied. “You are dismissed.”

Pronunciations:
Nuaða: nooawthah

No comments:

Post a Comment