Saturday, March 10, 2018

Unforeseen Events: Day 9

Word Count: 54,041

Summary of Events:
Sheldon continued to mostly observe as Emil extracted the transmission and started to dismantle it as he had done the engine. Due to the heat of the day a thunderstorm had come that made Sheldon — to Emil's surprise — quite nervous; their sighting of a small funnel cloud didn't help Sheldon's nerves, even though it didn't last long. Emil continued to show Sheldon photo albums, and Sheldon was able to see how his mother had changed from a nice young girl to an angry young woman who had shunned the family. Emil was making breakfast when he got a phone call from his brother-in-law Gene regarding the parts he needed for the engine and they got talking about the car . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""She's going to be a beaut," Gene said. "She going to be ready for the car show next year?"
"I don't know," Emil replied. "It depends on how far we get this summer and if I can get more than the transmission done over winter. She might be ready."
"There aren't many fifty two Pontiacs around, and with the work you do I'm pretty sure she'll get you a best in show if you bring her," Gene said.
"I might have to," Emil said. "If she's ready. I could show her to Helen then too."
"Why to Helen?" Gene asked.
"I would've thought nineteen fifty two Pontiac Star Chief would've rung a bell with you when I called you the other day, considering that you're such a Pontiac aficionado," Emil said.
Gene was silent for a moment. "She's that one? The blue?"
"The same," Emil replied.
"You're kidding," Gene said. "I thought he'd sold her."
"I would've thought the same," Emil replied. "But Rich invited me to the farm to look at a bunch of old vehicles Henry had from over the years, including Dad's Dodge, which actually doesn't look to be in that bad of shape, and there she was."
"Wow," Gene said quietly. "Wow."
Emil nodded, but said nothing.
"You think Helen's going to want her?" Gene asked.
"No," Emil replied. "She know's she's not getting any younger, which is something that doesn't seem to matter to you."
"Hey," Gene said.
"You're two years older than she is," Emil razzed. "You've spent more time than she has."
"I know where it's all going," Gene said. "Len's just as interested in Pontiacs as I am."
"Yeah, and Len's practically my age," Emil said, smiling.
"His boy Joel's interested in them too," Gene said. "Joel wants to buy my Super Chief, but I'm not ready to let her go yet. I want to enjoy her a bit longer."
"Yeah, I don't know who'll get the Star Chief when it gets to that point, but, you know, I have a full decade before I get to that point, so I won't really worry about it too much, I want to get her running first," Emil said.
"You aren't going to give her to Charlie?" Gene asked.
"The kids don't know how much she means to me," Emil replied. "To have found her after all these years, besides, I do want to make sure I clear it with Helen first even though I'm sure she'll have no problem with it. I think Roseanne knew a little bit, but I think, really, only Sheldon knows truly how much she means to me.""

No comments:

Post a Comment