Friday, February 16, 2018

Frigid Revenge: Day 14

Word Count: 84,100

Summary of Events:
Oakley regained consciousness and found out that two of the girls in the room he'd fought Mr. Meyer in were dead, and one was wounded, so he got the doctor to tend to her even though she wasn't really all that happy to have survived. Charlie still had no idea what had happened with all the shooting and was horrified to realise that it was two fellow Canadian teammates who'd been killed, and another teammate injured. Mr. Meyer got Sabrina mad at Oakley, so Oakley tried to patch things up between them by explaining what had happened in the other room . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
"He looked up at Sabrina. "I didn't close the door, so he was able to get in, and even though I beat him up he still managed to knock me out and kill them. If I would've closed the door he wouldn't have gotten in, and they wouldn't be dead, and none of this would've happened."
"It also wouldn't have happened if you would've just stayed put," Sabrina quipped.
"I can't," Oakley replied, the shift of emotions in his voice making it come out almost as a growl. "Being indoors like this is killing me enough, forget being contained in one room. You would've been the one sleeping with a body long ago if I would've stayed put."
Sabrina turned her gaze back to the TV.
"Besides," Oakley said. "Nobody dominates me. You should know that, even if we've barely been together a month."
She still kept her gaze fixed away.
"Not even the odds can dominate me," Oakley said.
"What does that mean?" Sabrina asked, her gaze still unmoving.
"I don't even know what the official odds were against my survival Sabby," Oakley replied. "What do you think the odds would be that a kid who had a birth weight of one pound and fifteen ounces would turn into a strong, healthy, six foot three inch, two hundred and ten pound athlete at twenty?"
Sabrina turned and looked at Oakley, her brow furrowed.
"Yes," Oakley said. "I weigh a hundred and five times, approximately, what I did when I was born."
"Why were you born that small?" Sabrina asked.
"Because I was due on January twenty ninth," Oakley replied. "The year after I was born."
Sabrina's gaze ran up and down Oakley.
"And that's not the only thing I've had to fight against," Oakley said. "But it matters now because it's probably the only other time to this point I've had to fight for my life specifically."
"So you're doing this because you've always had to fight?" Sabrina asked.
"I always have fought," Oakley replied. "I'm not going to start being a wuss and giving up now. Besides, it's not like I want to be here any more than you do. Everyone in here wants to be out."
Sabrina shifted her jaw. Why did she still look so unconvinced?
"I want you to get out of this too Sabby," Oakley said. "You shouldn't have been here this long. You should've been able to enjoy your grandparents' anniversary — which probably was all ruined by the fact that you are stuck here as a hostage — you aren't a snowboarder, he shouldn't be mad at you, not that he should be doing this because he's mad either, but I feel like it's my fault you're stuck here."
"You didn't know he was coming," Sabrina said.
"Still," Oakley said. "I'm sorry you're in all this.""

No comments:

Post a Comment