Monday, February 12, 2018

Frigid Revenge: Day 10

Word Count: 60,397

Summary of Events:
Oakley decided to watch some news coverage and learned that the army had been called in to back the police up. Charlie got upset at several of the guys at breakfast for not helping Oakley, which led them to promise their aid. Oakley was invited by the guys — who included Nigel, Rylan, Trey, Charlie's brother Pierce, and a couple of his friends Kingsley and Grady — to discuss plans for them to collectively start trying to get the gun out of their captor's hands, beginning with Oakley telling them about Charlie's suspicions he wouldn't get killed . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""It's not, like, a premonition thing," Oakley said. "I mean, she's pretty smart, like, picking up on the nuances."
"Oh she reads between the lines like nobody's business," Pierce said. "But, like, why is she convinced you're not going to die?"
"Because I'm fighting him," Oakley replied. "Like, when I first fought him at supper the first night, she heard him say to me that I wasn't suffering, and, I mean, I remember him saying it too, but, like, it didn't mean anything to me. I was like, of course I'm not going to suffer, I'm a fighter, always have been, always will be. But she, like, she thinks that he doesn't want to kill me until I'm suffering, because otherwise he won't get the mental win."
"Sort of in the same principle as I suggested he wouldn't want to diffuse the bombs for us even if we got the gun away from him," Nigel said.
"Yeah," Oakley said. "Like, even if it might demoralise all of you guys for him to kill me, he wouldn't get the win against me because I don't care about dying. If you talk to Dr. Reimann that's a problem, but whatever. A little more of a minor reason, she suspects, is because I look like his son."
"Does she have an iPad hidden somewhere that she's getting stuff off the internet from?" Grady asked. "Like, how would she know what this guy's son looks like?"
"From the news," Oakley replied. "I haven't seen pictures yet, but I was watching some coverage last night, and police have confirmed that our murderous host is a guy by the name of Craig Meyer, and he's got as all hostage to avenge the suicide of his son Travis."
"I'm guessing this Travis Meyer guy snowboarded?" Grady asked.
"Yes," Nigel replied before Oakley could, startling him. "I haven't heard that name in years."
"You rode with him?" Trey asked.
"Yes," Nigel replied, nodding. "He wasn't on the scene for very long."
"Two seasons I heard," Oakley replied.
"I mean, it almost feels like a dream, to remember him," Nigel said.
"The people on TV were saying a lot of people who competed with him were saying the same thing," Oakley said. "Why is it surreal?"
"Well, he was here, and he was amazing, and then, all of the sudden, he was gone," Nigel replied, snapping his fingers to emphasise the suddenness. "He came storming onto the scene and really dominated in his first season, he was a fantastic, talented rider, there was a lot of talk he'd go to Torino, especially the next season, and then all of the sudden he was gone."
"Why?" Pierce asked.
Nigel furrowed his brow in thought for a long time before shaking his head. "I don't know that I ever heard. We just came back next season and it was as if he'd never existed. I don't even know if any of his fellow Americans had any clue what happened to him. He was just gone.""

No comments:

Post a Comment