Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Ascent: Day 8

Word Count: 48,017

Summary of Events:
Ilyé and Master Lyarí watched in the pool as Ilyé's father went to lead a group of magicians who hated Master Lyarí to overthrow him when the young magician who'd gotten upset at Master Lyarí for not choosing him as an apprentice arrived, humiliated Ilyé's father, and led the group to do as Ilyé's father had planned to. Ilyé and Master Lyarí got ready and met the group, whom Master Lyarí put on an incredible show of his power for . . . before murdering all of them. Ilyé then continued on with his training as normal, and during one session was told how Master Lyarí had come to be the Lemyazhmok . . .

Excerpt of the Day:
""I've grown and matured much since I was a youngling Ilyé," Master Lyarí said, smiling. "I have a much sharper mind now. However, when I was a youngling I was terribly cowardly, which is why my parents decided I should be trained as a magician. So they made it known to the magicians around that their youngling was available to be apprenticed."
Ilyé nodded.
"Many magicians came and spoke with me and whatnot, but I found them all terribly frightening, and was insufferably shy with all of them, which displeased them greatly," Master Lyarí looked off in the distance. "Except the most frightening one of them all."
Ilyé listened intently.
"He was so much taller than the others, so much stronger, and his voice was terrifying, not to mention he never let me see his face," Master Lyarí continued. "Without once speaking to me he said he would take me as his apprentice. So I had to go with him, even though I didn't want to, and my parents couldn't come with me."
Ilyé sat down and made himself comfortable to listen.
"The only reason he held my hand was to keep me from running back home to my parents as he led me through the terrifying, dark forests; past frightening, gargantuan lakes; and then along a viciously raging river through a mountain valley so scary and forbidding I screamed and fought him the whole way," Master Lyarí said, smiling. "Worst of all, was the big, black cave we went into at the end. Absolutely everything was terrifying, and then I was trapped in the cave forever, as far as I was concerned."
In his mind, Ilyé could almost see Master Lyarí as a youngling, trembling with fear.
"As I spent time in the cave and with the big, monstrous magician, I found that neither one of them was actually that scary," Master Lyarí continued. "And Master Diúnodro was, in some ways, a rather cruel and unkind master. I especially thought so then too, but that was what I needed, because if I would've had someone who would've treated me lightly or kindly, or someone who would've pitied my fright, I never would've conquered it. And now here I am, no longer a coward."
Yet it was so easy for Ilyé to imagine Master Lyarí as a fearful youngling.
"I was so frightened of everything that I couldn't hardly aim to throw the knives, I thought mountain peaks were going to come crashing down on me," Master Lyarí chuckled. "Master Diúnodro's patience was commendable. He made me do it, but he never pushed me or beat me. He never got frustrated with my cowardice, but he showed me that, in truth — and especially as a magician — I have absolutely nothing to be afraid of.""

Diúnodro: d'younohdroh

No comments:

Post a Comment