Friday, May 13, 2016

Ascent: Day 11

Word Count: 66,006

Summary of Events:
At one of the next towns on their rounds Ilyé challenged a fellow winged centaur to a race and easily beat him, much to the other centaur's displeasure. The next town was one from which Ilyé had been shot at before and he flattened the entire town in his rage when he was called a monster, but Master Lyarí made him restore it. As they were journeying Ilyé thought they were being followed and discovered when they camped for the night that it was his father's friend who'd sent him back to his father the first time he'd been in the area, and so killed him. At the next town Ilyé and Master Lyarí spent the night and had a discussion . . . 

Excerpt of the Day:
"Master Lyarí sat down beside him and gazed into the flames for a few moments before looking at Ilyé, who couldn't even see any of his master's facial features in the firelight.
"I've been doing much thinking as we've been journeying, and I do believe I've discerned the purpose you have for the wall which you've built around your parents' home," Master Lyarí said.
Ilyé looked at him with intrigue, but divulged nothing.
"You wish to kill your family in revenge for their ill treatment of you," Master Lyarí said.
There was no sense in denying it. "Yes."
"I would advise you not to Ilyé," Master Lyarí said. "As much as they have caused you great harm and anguish."
"And why not?" Ilyé demanded, anger rapidly rising to a boil within him.
"Because their power no longer can affect you as you have the power to counteract it entirely," Master Lyarí replied.
"So?" Ilyé demanded. "They tortured me for their pleasure!"
"But they did not kill you Ilyé," Master Lyarí said. "Therefore I do not believe that your killing of them would be justified."
"So then what do you suggest?" Ilyé sneered.
"I suggest that you torture them in return, even worse than they tortured you," Master Lyarí replied. "Show them that they were wrong to have tortured you, make them suffer and regret, and let them in their regretful torment take their own lives if they so choose."
"I want the ultimate revenge on them," Ilyé said.
"And the longer you draw it out, the more ultimate it will be, I guarantee you," Master Lyarí replied. "I've been subject to killing many people over my years because they've chosen to cross me or behave insubordinately toward me, and the ones whose tortures I dragged out longer were the ones that I enjoyed more than the instant deaths."
"I will draw out the kill," Ilyé said. "Like I drew out my father's friend's death."
"Longer yet," Master Lyarí said. "Far longer yet. Years, not hours."
"I couldn't possibly wait that long," Ilyé said.
"In fact, sometimes I find it more preferable if they just kill themselves, as I can't say that I entirely enjoy killing," Master Lyarí said. "Part of why I drag out the torment, I must admit."
"Part of how the cowardliness of your childhood has remained," Ilyé said.
"Excuse me?" Master Lyarí demanded.
"You are not fully brave," Ilyé replied. "And I should hope that someone as wise and powerful as you recognises that."
"I do not like how you are talking down to me," Master Lyarí said. "I am your master, and I will be until my dying day."
Ilyé exhaled sharply, but said nothing.
"I do hope that you will not kill your parents brutally," Master Lyarí said after a long pause.
"No one will be killed more brutally than they," Ilyé replied. "No one else deserves to suffer a more brutal demise.""

No comments:

Post a Comment